First timer

Betmar

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
Hi everyone,
First time chick mom here. I literally just picked up 7 black australorp pullets and I want to make sure they are comfortable. I have a bin brooder set up with a heat plate but I also have a radiant heater outside the brooder pointing towards it as my basement can be drafty at times. They are choosing to line up along that outside wall towards the exterior heater and they are barely making a peep so to me that seems like they are content. Would I be correct in my assumption? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 757
Hi everyone,
First time chick mom here. I literally just picked up 7 black australorp pullets and I want to make sure they are comfortable. I have a bin brooder set up with a heat plate but I also have a radiant heater outside the brooder pointing towards it as my basement can be drafty at times. They are choosing to line up along that outside wall towards the exterior heater and they are barely making a peep so to me that seems like they are content. Would I be correct in my assumption? Thanks in advance
Are they eating and drinking?

They would let you know if they’re too hot/cold by their body language, they seem like they’re fine. Maybe you could get a thermometer if you’d like to be 100% sure.

I love the heat plates, much more natural and safe. A lot less to worry about too.

How warm is it in the basement? The plastic sides should block drafts and I would be worried about the heater warming up the entire tote like a little convection oven. Chicks do not need to be kept warm 24/7. They only need the option to access heat for when they feel chilled. I brood chicks out in a barn with a heat plate and most of the day they choose not to even be under the heat plate even when it’s only 40F outside.

How warm is it in the basement? The plastic sides should block drafts and I would be worried about the heater warming up the entire tote like a little convection oven. Chicks do not need to be kept warm 24/7. They only need the option to access heat for when they feel chilled. I brood chicks out in a barn with a heat plate and most of the day they choose not to even be under the heat plate even when it’s only 40F outside.
The basement stays around 60°-63° this time year

I have a digital thermometer inside facing the exterior heater and it’s reading 88°

Back
Top Bottom