First visit outside

Tigerhoney

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2016
West Texas
So my EE's are going to be 2 weeks old tomorrow and I decided to take them outside earlier today for the very first time. At first they all seemed pretty petrified standing in the grass lol but after a few minutes they stared walking around and immediately began fighting over a flower petal! Which was extremely entertaining! Unfortunately I had to take them inside after 15 minutes, the heat was a killer! I'm considering taking them outside once a day for a wee bit, but in the mornings because it's already reaching the triple digits. When did y'all start taking your chicks outside?

Excuse my grammar and my very tanned leg!

I live around the middle of Arizona, and I took my chicks outside when they were a week old, in the shade and with water (And our bird dog tied up so she wouldn't get too curious) Your chicks are adorable! I have had the opportunity to raise one ee and she was a absolute sweetheart!

:love
Your babies are too cute! Hope you got video of the flower petal fight!
A small fan is really helpful when it's hot outside, they can have more playtime!
Do you have a playpen for them?

Thank you! No, I wish I got video of the fight! The fan is a good idea! I never thought of it, so I'll probably give it a try. Sadly they don't have a play pen, but I do take them out twice a day from their brooder to play on the floor, which they really enjoy lol

I live around the middle of Arizona, and I took my chicks outside when they were a week old, in the shade and with water (And our bird dog tied up so she wouldn't get too curious) Your chicks are adorable! I have had the opportunity to raise one ee and she was a absolute sweetheart!

Oh man I've visited Arizona a couple of times and it's hot! How early did you introduced your chicks to the dog? I feel like mine would just go for the kill...so he's never near them. Thank you! You know, they're pretty sweet and like to hang near me ha it's mostly Kiki(the white one) and omelet( blue/grey behind Kiki)

Yeah, we were 118 degrees yesterday, with humidity! Our dog is a 50 lb. Lab, so we are able to tie her up without her getting loose. We have a sliding glass door to the back, so I sat behind the door and she would look at them from the other side. When I moved them outside, I put them on a high table, and she could smell them, (this is bout 2 weeks old, depending how big they are) and I hold them with their heads covered by my hand, so she cant potentially try to bite them and lean down so she can have a better sniff, and if she gets too riled I will scold her. (Sorry if that was a bit too long!) :)

Taking chicks outdoors when it's nice and warm is a very excellent practice. Even chicks a few days old will benefit.

There are considerations though to keep in mind. One is that taking a chick from a temperature controlled indoor environment to a super heated outdoor environment is very stressful if the temperature spread is over ten or fifteen degrees. More than extreme heat or extreme cold, this has killed more chickens. They just don't handle wide temperature fluctuations.

So, the best way to handle this problem is to keep your chicks in an un-airconditioned place if you want them to be able to go outdoors. That way they are acclimated.

I see you have them in shade. A lot of folks don't realize that down is a poor insulator against direct sunlight heat buildup as well as cold. Shade is crucial. Good that you've given consideration to this.

With your very warm climate, you should be taking advantage of it and brooding right outdoors in your coop or run. That way the chicks will be acclimatized as they develop. See my article linked below my post on all the many advantages of doing this.

Taking chicks outdoors when it's nice and warm is a very excellent practice. Even chicks a few days old will benefit.

There are considerations though to keep in mind. One is that taking a chick from a temperature controlled indoor environment to a super heated outdoor environment is very stressful if the temperature spread is over ten or fifteen degrees. More than extreme heat or extreme cold, this has killed more chickens. They just don't handle wide temperature fluctuations.

So, the best way to handle this problem is to keep your chicks in an un-airconditioned place if you want them to be able to go outdoors. That way they are acclimated.

I see you have them in shade. A lot of folks don't realize that down is a poor insulator against direct sunlight heat buildup as well as cold. Shade is crucial. Good that you've given consideration to this.

With your very warm climate, you should be taking advantage of it and brooding right outdoors in your coop or run. That way the chicks will be acclimatized as they develop. See my article linked below my post on all the many advantages of doing this.

I wouldn't be able to put the brooder outside for the weather has been reaching 108 lately and I'm afraid their little bodies will not withstand that kind of heat this young. I don't think the link posted??But I'd really appreciate if you posted the link to the article so I could read it!:)

Back
Top Bottom