First Winter - Bought vaseline

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
If you've never been to Wisconsin during winter, it's pretty cold. Starting to be 10F - 20F everyday. I did a good amount of research before I even had my chickens, and learned about the 'magic' of Vaseline! I don't know where/how to apply it, I just researched it is good to prevent frostbite/help heal it. I haven't tried doing anything yet because I don't want to do something wrong and hurt them! And like the title says this is my first winter so I'm trying to keep all of chickens alive, and of course the weather was not a surprise because I've lived in Wisconsin my whole life! Any help would be great! Nobody has frostbite yet but I'm always one that likes to be prepared!! Thanks in advance!

Hello neighbor. I have never used Vaseline. My hens do fine, some get slight frostbite, but nothing to worry about.

Some of my roosters will get frostbite if they have big combs, or if your coop isn't insulated from my experiences. I think you will be applying Vaseline a lot. Generally any temperatures below zero and I start to see some signs.

Mine did better without Vaseline. I second the vote for reducing moisture/adequate ventilation.
Moisture rises so keep vents open and no direct drafts on the Birds...Dry Coop....Roosts well below the vents...
Ok, I have good 24/7 ventilation, and so far everybody is happy!

i heard about vaseline too and have it on hand just in case. i only have one rooster i think that will be prone to it but hopefully wont need to use it. now just to get that coop better insulated before it realy statrs to get colder! im also here in wisconsin :) winter came faster than i was prepared for....

i heard about vaseline too and have it on hand just in case. i only have one rooster i think that will be prone to it but hopefully wont need to use it. now just to get that coop better insulated before it realy statrs to get colder! im also here in wisconsin :) winter came faster than i was prepared for....
Funny, I was waiting around for winter to show up.

we usually are too, i love winter! but with it being our first year out here in the country, keeping up with everything has been a challenge and the coop never got officially finished. so now ive become that dreaded nagging wife i said id never become. haha

Yeah, my nesting box and coop color is insulated and I only have 1 cockerel that might get frostbite so when it gets under 20F I'll put it on him to be safe, since he's still pretty young but has a LARGE comb.

Back
Top Bottom