first winter in northern Minnesota. tips?

OK, I have 3 reds and I have a heat lamp with a red bulb. It is always on. Should I keep it on? It is now staying 40-50 degrees f. Do they sleep with it on? Or should I get a timer and only have it come on early on the morning? Remember it reaches -30. Anymore advise is appreciated!

I live in an area that has really big temperature swings in the winter time. 60s during the day and below zero at night are not really uncommon. I have coop with insulated walls only. I supply white light in the morning and the evening to make sure my girls have 14 hrs of light per day but they do need some dark time. I rarely provide heat but I do put a heat lamp out if the temperature will be below zero at night. Last winter We had some cold snaps into the negative 20s and my heat lamp kept the ambient temperature of the coop at about 12 degrees and my hens did just fine. Just make sure you have good cold hardy breeds. you said you had reds. I'll assume you meant Rhode Island reds. they should be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom