First year laying versus second year laying

DotCoetzee

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
Skeerpoort
I was told that chickens lay more eggs in their first year than their second year. Can anyone give me more info on this. We have 3 hens and a rooster and I am getting 1 sometimes two eggs a day (but that's rare).

Just starting out with this chicken rasing thing.

Last edited:
I need more info too "gotta". My husband brought the chickens home about a month ago. Not sure of the age and haven't a clue on the breed. I asked him to find out so I'm waiting but I do know what I feed them. They get mixed fowl food, same stuff we give to the ducks on the pond and I give they veggie scraps. We lease some of our farm to a lettuce grower so I have started to give them lettuce that's gets left in the field after harvest. And I make sure they have plenty of water. They also do have an area to eat bugs and here in Sout Africa there are lots of bugs:).

Wish I had more info but like I said I'm just starting out.

How much protien is in the mixed fowl food? It may not be enough for good egg production.

Are their waddles and combs red and full or small and pinkish? Do their legs look healthy and have good color or are they worn looking?

I'm trying to figure out if it's a food issue or if maybe you have older or younger hens. Can you post any pictures? There are lots of super experienced (wayyy more then me!) people on here that could tell quite a bit breed/age wise with a few good pictures.

41134_p1080729.jpg
[/img]
Let's see if I figured out how to post a pic.

It looks lilke you have Black Austorlorps and i seen a Buff Orphington. You will need to give them layer feed. I give my girls Purina Layena. They have a feeder that is full 24/7. I have 13 first year layers and all 13 are laying. I also feed scratch feed a couple of times a day and scraps from the kitchen. You need to also give them oyster shell. I throw a small hand full each day in with their scratch, they need if for the calcium so their eggs will have a nice shell.

The yellow one is a Buff Orpington..the black ones appear to be either Australorps or Jersey Giants. You can tell which by tipping them over and checking the bottom of their feet. Australorps have pink feet..Jerseys have yellow feet.

I'm not sure what the nutritional value of the feed your using is, but it's probably fairly decent. We're very spoiled here in the U.S. and not used to breaking down the value of individual grains to make a mix of our own. The commercial mixes we commonly use have some very specific percentages of proteins, carbohydrates, amino acids, vitamins and minerals. This doesn't mean that hens can't lay perfectly well on other feed, they've done it for centuries after all!

I'm looking for some info here on BYC and on the internet as a whole for some things that are in layer rations that may not be in a mixed fowl feed like your using. Really though, I have to think that 'mixed fowl' means just that!

Possibly they could use a little more protein and calcium than is in your mix. Your hen's combs and wattles seem a little pale, this could be a sign of age, or a sign that they are going through a molt, or are low on some vitamin(s).

I know this isn't helping you immediately, but I'm looking for some info for you and I'll bet others are too!

//edit// I'm sorry I forgot to say,
welcome-byc.gif
and also that aside from they're not laying very well, your hens look very nice! I hope we can help you get they laying better so they don't have to go to the soup pot just yet!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom