1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FISH GUTS?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kitchenella, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    Can I feed a chicken fish guts? If yes, does it have to be cooked.? I was thinking that getting the waste from my local fish merchant would be an inexpensive source of protein for my chickens.

Peggy

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Fresh caught fish you gutted - I would feed as is.

Fish from a market - I spent years working in the wholesale industry as a supplier to many markets, restaurants and grocery stores. Some fish carry worms and other parasites. I would steam/boil it first.

3. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    What about fish *bones* as a calcium source for layers?

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    We go saltwater fishing a lot, and I thought of feeding the remains to the girls, but then I read an article about sushi. Turns out that most fish have parasites and worms that need to be killed by either cooking or freezing first, before consumption.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I freeze anything fresh before giving it to the pets raw. Helps kill most nasty things that might be in there and it's usually not difficult. Put it in a bag, toss it in the freezer, and pull it out a day or 2 later to throw to the pets.

6. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Makes me wonder what the eggs will taste like

7. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    wouldn't have thought of it i caught 12 big crappie sunday and discarded a valuable source of protean.

8. LindaN

LindaN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Chicago
    When we eat fish and shrimp at home, I always save the fish skin and and shrimp skins and tails for the chickens. The skin and shells are already cooked in this case, though.

I'd follow Akane and Miss Prissy's comments about fish offal bought from a market: freeze or cook first.

Definitely a great protein source and the chickens love it!

9. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Laying mash often contains fish meal. I'd go with freezing, then tossing like suggested. The birds do need a certain amount of animal protein and with the bugs mostly hiding out for the winter now any source is a good source.

10. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    adorable babies texan! And a cute brooder too! Looks like you put a lot into that brooder, I can only imagine how your coop will look! Like a Chicken Palace!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by