FISH GUTS?

Kitchenella

Songster
14 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Oak Park, Michigan
Can I feed a chicken fish guts? If yes, does it have to be cooked.? I was thinking that getting the waste from my local fish merchant would be an inexpensive source of protein for my chickens.

Peggy

Fresh caught fish you gutted - I would feed as is.

Fish from a market - I spent years working in the wholesale industry as a supplier to many markets, restaurants and grocery stores. Some fish carry worms and other parasites. I would steam/boil it first.

We go saltwater fishing a lot, and I thought of feeding the remains to the girls, but then I read an article about sushi. Turns out that most fish have parasites and worms that need to be killed by either cooking or freezing first, before consumption.

I freeze anything fresh before giving it to the pets raw. Helps kill most nasty things that might be in there and it's usually not difficult. Put it in a bag, toss it in the freezer, and pull it out a day or 2 later to throw to the pets.

When we eat fish and shrimp at home, I always save the fish skin and and shrimp skins and tails for the chickens. The skin and shells are already cooked in this case, though.

I'd follow Akane and Miss Prissy's comments about fish offal bought from a market: freeze or cook first.

Definitely a great protein source and the chickens love it!

Laying mash often contains fish meal. I'd go with freezing, then tossing like suggested. The birds do need a certain amount of animal protein and with the bugs mostly hiding out for the winter now any source is a good source.

adorable babies texan! And a cute brooder too! Looks like you put a lot into that brooder, I can only imagine how your coop will look! Like a Chicken Palace!

Back
Top Bottom