Fish Meal in Feed

minus10gmt

Songster
Oct 4, 2019
Big Island, Hawaii
Hi All,

A feed I'm buying has fish meal from "wild caught Pacific whitefish" according to the supplier. I'm trying to find out if this is "sustainable" or if it possibly has a high mercury content. The feed is advertised as organic and non-GMO.

Respecfully, I don't want to get into arguments about the organic or non-GMO part, I know we all have our concerns about those labels regarding accuracy or necessity. Reallly just interested in the fish meal and if anyone has insight to offer.

Thanks!

All fish will be exposed to mercury. However, the larger, older, fattier fish, especially the species that eat other smaller fish will contain much more mercury than those fish that eat mostly plankton and aren't oily fleshed. Whitefish are in this latter category.

In addition to this, mercury accumulates in an animal's body over a long period of time. While humans live decades longer than chickens do, we have more concern about mercury accumulating in our bodies than our chickens do.

Bottom line is, in my opinion given these facts, whitefish meal is an excellent source of animal protein for chickens and a very minimal hazard as a source for mercury poisoning.

While humans live decades longer than chickens do, we have more concern about mercury accumulating in our bodies than our chickens do.

Thanks! I live in Hawaii and both my husband and I have had a lot of fish that's higher in the food chain, and we both have tested positive higher mercury levels than we'd like, so I'm paying attention to this.

Also, "wild caught" doesn't necessarily mean it's caught in the best of ways, it's just wild not farmed. It's so hard to track these sources.

crab meat imitation, but what I feed my chickens, some actual people would die for!
Steak, shrimp, lobster, and so much more.. reason? My chickens can play piano, and drums. so talented, I have no bearing to describe

Back
Top Bottom