Fish meal - where do you buy?

I got mine through Murray McMurray, but I'm searching out some less expensive sources. I'll post a link when I find some place that has it in stock.

edited to include:
What I've been able to find so far (this is all fishmeal with Naturox, acceptable for organic producers)
MM -- 50# for $77.00, 10# for $19.65 (DOES NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING EVEN THOUGH THE CATALOG SAYS IT DOES)
7 Springs Farm -- 50# for $42.00
Red Root Farm -- 50# for $36.00

Last edited:
Regardless of where you purchase your fish meal make sure it is treated with an antioxidant. This will limit the amount of rancidity and help maintain the quality of the feed. I would look for "Select Menhaden Fish Meal". This is the highest quality available and when treated with an appropriate antioxidant will provide very good nutrition for your birds. Make sure you don't over supplement the fish as it will result in imbalances of amino acids.

Jim

here in canada you can't buy that sort of stuff anymore, so I went to the feed store and they sell fish pellets for pond fish. Its made with fishmeal, soymeal, alfalfa meal and other good stuff. I read the label and compared to what I was looking for figure it would work. Nothing bad in it. I mix a little with the feed everyday and so far ok. i know my Muscovys were not getting the right stuff as they are meat eaters in the wild but no feedstuff here can have meat products anymore due to Avian Flu and BSE.

Thanks for all the the info and suggestions! I was getting nowhere with Google
smile.png

Lazy J (Jim)....have you gotten a feel for what a good amount IS to supplement? My girls are on Dumor 16% layer (free choice), which has no animal protein in it, which is why I'd like to supplement with the fish meal.

I think I ordered my last bag (only 10#) from Murray McMurray, after seeing how much my girls love it though, I think I'll be going with one of the less expensive options and getting 50#.

Oh... I don't know the brand, it came in an unmarked bag, but I'm guessing it's probably Fertrell's. I get the variety with Naturox since I'm trying to stay as close to organic as possible.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom