Five-month old Australorp suddenly lame. Update: Now another pullet going lame!

Pics
Su-su still dotes on May. May is still needy, mostly when their run is open to visits from the main flock. May gets pecked in passing, sort of like the gratuitous licks bullies give a smaller victim as they pass by. After the third peck, May gives up and plants herself in the nearest corner or she runs and hides behind Su-su.

Most of the day, their run is closed off to the rest of the flock, and May is very independent, leaving Su-su to relax and nap as all my ten years and older hens like to do.

In the carrot photo, Su-su was very likely napping. (Elderly chickens aren't too much different than many elderly humans.)

I was hoping May's self-confidence might be improving along with her mobility, but yeah pecking order issue is a whole 'nuther thing. U gave a perfect visual of the daily problem she faces re interacting with the others. (And somewhat painful to visualize since May is such a sweetheart.) Im sure May and Su-su are perfectly content being separated, just a bit inconvenient for their flock master.
I realized after asking yesterday's question, probably better to have asked in Su-su's "Behaviors" thread. When i asked u fairly recently if Su-su ever hatched her own chicks, & u mentioned needing to update Su-su's thread, thats when i discovered u have updated Su-su's nanny thread all along. I had no clue u have continued Su-su's thread thru May's ordeal, because ive never received any notifications from that thread. Notifications or not, i plan to regularly check Su-su's thread too from now on. Including right now off i go; havent remembered to check in a couple of weeks at least. 🙂

Progress report. And I do mean progress!

May was behaving like a naughty little pullet at bedtime and getting out of her bed, twice, to mess around in the main run. There were still chickens milling about, and May wasn't the slightest bit cowed by them. And I was seeing only a slight limp as she authoritatively inspected every inch of the run, looking for what, only May knew.

This was a milestone happening right in front of my eyes, but my brain was still seeing the old, gimpy, frightened May. This new May has been here for a few days, but my brain simply didn't see her. The brain gets used to seeing something, and it is slow to let go of it and see the new form of that something, in this case, May.

May has been more assertive, spending far less time behind Su-su's skirts. She's less apt to back down when the others crowd the feeding bowl. She's far more active, spending most of the time on her feet.

Her legs are now perfectly aligned, something I wasn't sure I'd ever see again. I tried her out on the roost last night, but she doesn't have the strength yet to stick. Her next big step will be getting herself into the coop and into her bed on her own. I will need to work with her on this because May is right on the doorstep of point-of-lay.

In fact, I have a strong suspicion backed up by observation that May is actually seeking out encounters with the roosters. Yes, the little hussy runs right up to the rooster and throws herself at his feet, begging to be mounted. Our little May is no longer a virgin.

Sometimes i read posts where its hard to choose which reaction symbol to use. For instance May's most recent progress report. So. 🤣♥️🤣♥️🤣.
It has been an absolute joy to watch this story unfold in real time. Even better than discovering it years down the road, as many others will no doubt do.
Azygous, ive continually marveled at the extreme effort you've made to save and rehabilitate May. When it would have been soooo much easier to end her life and replace with another. Your recent comment of "being a park ranger" provided a potential clue. Like maybe some sort of park ranger creed, "Save if possible, mercifully end their suffering when necessary."? Or maybe it is just the way you were made. After all, it is considered perfectly acceptable and honorable to save and rehabilitate hummingbirds, hawks, owls & other raptors, and countless other species. Through your actions, u have shown that a chicken's life is worth saving too. Whatever it is that drives you, you are a good egg.
And based on May's most recent behaviors, sounds like she may seeking a suitable place to lay her good little pullet egg she senses is coming soon. You May even find one in her run today!

June is relapsing. Just now watched her stumble and trip and wobble as she was trying to chase down her share of the BOSS I had just tossed. I can't even describe all the emotions that hit me all at once.

I got my brain to function, and decided to go with what worked last time. I popped a 250mg amoxicillin capsule into her. She will get a full round.

Well CRUD. If i remember correctly, it was tylan that seemed to almost immediately reverse June's lameness? Lemme go back to beginning of this thread. Be right back. Ok im back. Skimmed quickly thru thread, beginning with your first post. In your post #96, u credited tylan 50 with reversing June's lameness. Your posts #1, 3, 9, 16, 22, 25, 36, 40, 42, 49, 51 (where u first reported June going lame), 55, 61 (where u started May & June on tylan 50 orally), 64, 89, 94 & 96 give a lot of info as far as all the meds u tried. Again, post 96 is the one where u credited tylan 50 orally as having a positive effect. U may be re-reading this thread yourself.

I haven't had time to read through those early posts. I'm trying to prepare for a huge snow storm hitting right now. My town is shutting down, that's how bad it's supposed to get.

June had trouble jumping up to the roosting perch. I needed to lift her up. I tried her in the box with May, but June started to bully May out of the box, so she'll need to take her chances on sticking on the perch all night.

I'm open to suggestions as to how to deal with this new development.

Im really sorry for ALL your current troubles. When u get storm preps taken care of, all i can suggest is reading thru this thread again. U fully documented the treatments u administered, highlighted in your posts i mentioned above. Hopefully someone else will have ideas. Please report back when u get a chance. Fingers crossed and prayers too.

Cold and dark and all white. Got less than half of the snow that was forecast. Not complaining. It still took a while to dig out the chickens this morning.

June is a bit worse. She acts like a drunk who's pushed consumption of booze to the absolute limit, side-ways wobbling, backing up to keep her balance, and very uneaven gait. I gave her E and all the B vitamins, and will start the Tylan in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom