Five-month old Australorp suddenly lame. Update: Now another pullet going lame!

Pics
When your flock was diagnosed with lymphoid leukosis, was that diagnosis made with No doubt? Because Junes necropsy report concludes either/or, but ultimately is inconclusive. The report also says the peripheral nerves and sciatic nerve showed "no microscopic abnormalities." Does that not rule out Mareks? ( just asking). Also, the report showed multiple organs involvement, but didnt seem (in my interpretation) to conclude it was necessarily serious enough to kill June. (Even mentioned EYP as a possible contributing cause of death).

With May's most recent paralysis, and beginning to recover yet again, the illness seems almost as mysterious as ever. Likely LL?, but still just very odd.

The only way to distinguish between leucosis and Marek's tissues would be a DNA test, and until I figure out a way to get the blood sample to Texas before it degrades, that isn't going to be possible.

Dr Niles was the one who did the necropsy on the cockerel years ago and diagnosed avian leucosis in my flock. Then and now, all he can conclude is that a preponderance of evidence points more to leucosis than Marek's but Marek's can't be conclusively ruled out.

As in human cancer patients, tumors can degrade health to such an extent that secondary infections become part of the illness and can lead to death. What Dr Niles saw in June were secondary infections along with tumors and cells that were getting ready to turn cancerous, all contributing to her decline. When I handed her over to him, she was close to death. I could see that by her behavior. He could see it when he opened her up.

Pathology tests did not turn up anything that would point in a direction other than these two avian viruses.

Every time I handle May, she seems to be losing more weight. She feels like a carcass of bones that all the meat has been stripped from and is ready for the soup pot. Just today, she has started to decline again. I really don't think she's going to last much longer.

The only way to distinguish between leucosis and Marek's tissues would be a DNA test, and until I figure out a way to get the blood sample to Texas before it degrades, that isn't going to be possible.

Dr Niles was the one who did the necropsy on the cockerel years ago and diagnosed avian leucosis in my flock. Then and now, all he can conclude is that a preponderance of evidence points more to leucosis than Marek's but Marek's can't be conclusively ruled out.

As in human cancer patients, tumors can degrade health to such an extent that secondary infections become part of the illness and can lead to death. What Dr Niles saw in June were secondary infections along with tumors and cells that were getting ready to turn cancerous, all contributing to her decline. When I handed her over to him, she was close to death. I could see that by her behavior. He could see it when he opened her up.

Pathology tests did not turn up anything that would point in a direction other than these two avian viruses.

Every time I handle May, she seems to be losing more weight. She feels like a carcass of bones that all the meat has been stripped from and is ready for the soup pot. Just today, she has started to decline again. I really don't think she's going to last much longer.
I’m sorry May is in decline again. It’s sweet to see her enjoying being near the chicks. ❤️
Carol, do you ever have power failures? I know it gets cold in the winter where you are and I know you sometimes use supplemental heat (chicks, sick bird, whatever). Have you ever had to run a generator?

I have power failures when it's raining, snowing, windy, and sunny and calm and clear. I have power failures on Christmas, Easter, and my birthday. I bought a generator twenty years ago, used it once, and sold it. They're more trouble than they're worth. I have a good brain, it runs on very little non-polluting fuel, and I just figure out work-arounds when I have no power.

Back
Top Bottom