Five Week old chicks, one Delaware is a lot bigger, cockerel?

Probably our last little update, there's little doubt in my mind that this is a cockerel, but I still haven't heard any tiny crows. About 2.5-3mo. You can see the size difference both in the comb and the thick legs. My barred roo seems to possibly be getting a little hard on him occasionally, but they roost together fine.
IMG_20230804_162955921.jpg

Legs. Cockerel on the left, pullet on the right.
IMG_20230804_162955092.jpg

IMG_20230804_162953421.jpg
IMG_20230804_163020170.jpg

Pullet on the left, you can see how pale her comb still is compared to the other.

Thanks for updating! I was reading along and guessing, and it's nice to know how it came out. (Although it is definitely disappointing that one of your "pullets" turned out to be male.)
Perhaps a little disappointing, but it's an interesting turn of events. It also introduces more variety if we decide to hatch chicks later.

Yup, he looks like a little fella. Very nice-looking too. The only reason he’s not crowing is probably because he’s got a dominant rooster in there he doesn’t want to offend.

Yup, he looks like a little fella. Very nice-looking too. The only reason he’s not crowing is probably because he’s got a dominant rooster in there he doesn’t want to offend.
Good thought! I'd wondered if the older roo might have something to do with it.

Definitely looks like a submissive cockerel to me.
I hope he stays submissive and there are no fights, though it'll probably change once the little guy matures. They tend to stick to their own little flocks until roosting time, too, so they aren't together a ton.

Back
Top Bottom