Five Weeks and Doing Well

ldel4567

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 13, 2012
Okay,
It has been five weeks since I got my Speckled Sussex chicks- cute as can be. Yesterday was their first day/night in the coop. Unfortunately, I picked the hottest day of the summer to do it. They were panting quite a bit, and I was regretting my decision. I did make sure they had water and food, but it was crazy hot. The saving grace, was that the temperatures were going to cool down . If they were able to get through this one day, things were going to be alright. I check on them frequently.
Today it was cooler. I took the little ones out for some recreation, which they enjoyed a great deal. They explored the wooded areas of the yard; especially, the blueberry bushes growing wild. Brutus, my adult rooster, has been living in the pen, outside the coop. I converted a large rubber trash can into a shelter for him, so the girls could acclimate to their new digs. I placed, chicken wire on the hatch opening, to separate them ; Brutus can't get in, and the chick's can't get out. When the time comes, I will remove the barrier between them so they can mingle. The hatch is down so the chicks get air. They are all doing well, so far.

Back
Top Bottom