• Yes

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Ovary sparing spay (females)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Pics
A chainlink wire kennel is no barrier when a female is in heat.
This. I know someone who had an Australian Cattle Dog bitch, in a chain link kennel, lay down with her butt against the fence so a miniature dachshund dog could reach her. By the time anyone realized what had happened and ran to the fence, they were tied.

Finding homes for the pups was almost impossible - focus and drive of an ACD with a short, snappy temper of a doxie. They were not easy dogs.

My wife and I already had our dogs when we started dating. Considering that mine is a male and her’s was a female. It was a blessing that they were altered. It would have been a nightmare when we moved in together. If they were intact.

This. I know someone who had an Australian Cattle Dog bitch, in a chain link kennel, lay down with her butt against the fence so a miniature dachshund dog could reach her. By the time anyone realized what had happened and ran to the fence, they were tied.

Finding homes for the pups was almost impossible - focus and drive of an ACD with a short, snappy temper of a doxie. They were not easy dogs.

Dachshund laying beside me in the chair sleeping right now, she doesn't have a snippy bone in her body. She has been well tested by the little great-granddaughter. People tolerate a lot from little dogs that wouldn't be tolerated in bigger dogs.

Dachshund laying beside me in the chair sleeping right now, she doesn't have a snippy bone in her body. She has been well tested by the little great-granddaughter. People tolerate a lot from little dogs that wouldn't be tolerated in bigger dogs.
I’ll grant there are good dachshunds out there, but I’ve not met many. In this particular instance, the male in question was alpha in a fairly large group and had been used in a breeding program. While good with people, he constantly tried to exert dominance with other dogs.

Dachshunds’ historic use requires a certain amount of moxie and a strong personality. As a breed, they don’t appeal to me, but I understand why they do to others.

I’ll grant there are good dachshunds out there, but I’ve not met many. In this particular instance, the male in question was alpha in a fairly large group and had been used in a breeding program. While good with people, he constantly tried to exert dominance with other dogs.

Dachshunds’ historic use requires a certain amount of moxie and a strong personality. As a breed, they don’t appeal to me, but I understand why they do to others.
That's just an excuse, hunting dogs are expected to be able to be handled by people and behave around other dogs. Prey drive is to be focused on the prey the dog is trained to hunt.

Dachshunds are a pretty good breed but I think a lot of issues stem from people treating them like toys, and not living animals. Like Chihuahuas and other tiny breeds.

People let them get away with things they would never allow big dogs to do because they're cute.

Back
Top Bottom