1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flailing chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KellFarm, Mar 12, 2012.

1. KellFarm

KellFarm New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    This is our first attempt at hatching eggs & so far it's going okay, I guess. Our hatch rate is going to be low this time. Anyway, one chick has hatched & is completely out of its shell, but now it's flailing around & disturbing the other eggs [some of which are in the process of hatching, others have not even pipped]. Is this normal? Is it bad for the other eggs to get moved around like that? I don't want to disturb the eggs too much but I have moved some of them out of the path of this first little guy....

One more question - I saw tiny bubbles coming out of the beak of one of the partially hatched eggs; movement has ceased for awhile now & I'm afraid this chick is dead. :( Did he drown, possibly from too much humidity?

Any feedback is much appreciated!!

2. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Yes it's normal. It's a little hard to watch sometimes, but normal. You're not really supposed to open the incubator while they are hatching. I have and haven't had a problem, but it's not recommended. The bubbles don't sound good. What is your humidity at? About 70% is good.

3. KellFarm

KellFarm New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Ahhh I know you're not supposed to open it so I'm just leaving everything alone at this point. Unfortunately I don't know what the humidity is - we only have a thermometer.

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Yes, this will happen just about every time you hatch eggs. The hatched chicks will bump the eggs around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by