bonniethelass

Hatching
Oct 15, 2018
Hi Guys!

I am a first time chicken tender and i could use some help as I am on the verge of insanity.

Flea season has been insane this year! My dog is infested with fleas and despite my efforts they just keep coming. That leads me to my main problem- the yard.. my chickens free range and I think I'm at the point where i need to look into harsher insecticides.. but this scares me as it seems like this is a big fat no no. I was using an organic granule called EcoSmart but it seems to only last a few days max. I don't know what to do and I can't really keep my chickens locked up all day in their coop - it's not designed for living in more for sleeping.. I don't want to accidentally kill my sweet chickens. Any advice to a newbie?

Also I haven't noticed fleas or evidence thereof on my chickens but I just have to assume that they may have them as well. So i will be looking into this more- i saw a few threads on de-fleaing for chickens.

I use a MannaPro Poultry Protector every 1-2 weeks when I clean out coop/run. I scoop and provide fresh litter every couple days but do a full clean out every 1-2 weeks. At this time I spray the poultry protector and also use a duster to spray in Diatomaceous Earth food Grade from Harris Farms. I spray these when my hens are out in the yard so no risk to respiratory systems. These are preventatives and not meant to treat if have a case of fleas. Consult your vet for treatment recommendations. I have not had fleas, ticks, mites, or lice so far. I also treat my dogs monthly with a good flea, tick, and mosquito preventative as well as heartworm. Ask your vet for preventative treatment recommendations for the dogs to prevent pests.

I use a MannaPro Poultry Protector every 1-2 weeks when I clean out coop/run. I scoop and provide fresh litter every couple days but do a full clean out every 1-2 weeks. At this time I spray the poultry protector and also use a duster to spray in Diatomaceous Earth food Grade from Harris Farms. I spray these when my hens are out in the yard so no risk to respiratory systems. These are preventatives and not meant to treat if have a case of fleas. Consult your vet for treatment recommendations. I have not had fleas, ticks, mites, or lice so far. I also treat my dogs monthly with a good flea, tick, and mosquito preventative as well as heartworm. Ask your vet for preventative treatment recommendations for the dogs to prevent pests.
Do you spray the MannaPro and Diatomaceous clay in the yard as well or just in your coop/run? My real problem is the yard- every dog in the neighborhood has fleas it seems and we all have chain link fence so the little buggers are just jumping through the fence or hitching a ride back in on the local cats, skunks, coons etc

Dog and cat fleas do NOT infest poultry!!!
It's best to use a safe product on the dogs, and not try to spray the yard with anything.
Your chickens can get 'bird fleas', mites, and lice, from visiting songbirds. They are best treated in the coop and on the birds at night with a permethrin spray labeled for poultry.
Use an effective monthly product on the dogs, have the interior of your home treated if necessary, and deal with the chickens as a separate issue.
Products safe for pets are NOT to be used on chickens!
Mary

Hi Guys!

I am a first time chicken tender and i could use some help as I am on the verge of insanity.

Flea season has been insane this year! My dog is infested with fleas and despite my efforts they just keep coming. That leads me to my main problem- the yard.. my chickens free range and I think I'm at the point where i need to look into harsher insecticides.. but this scares me as it seems like this is a big fat no no. I was using an organic granule called EcoSmart but it seems to only last a few days max. I don't know what to do and I can't really keep my chickens locked up all day in their coop - it's not designed for living in more for sleeping.. I don't want to accidentally kill my sweet chickens. Any advice to a newbie?

Also I haven't noticed fleas or evidence thereof on my chickens but I just have to assume that they may have them as well. So i will be looking into this more- i saw a few threads on de-fleaing for chickens.
Curious, why do you feel you need to treat the yard? Does your dog live in the house? You can use an insect growth regulator like pyriproxyfen in the yard, but I doubt it's necessary. Can you tell me a little more about your place? Where is it geographically, do you have a place under the house where the dog goes, does the dog live inside, and do you have other pets? (cats, etc). What have you tried and for how long?

Back
Top Bottom