Flea control question

amystours

Songster
11 Years
Feb 23, 2008
Alexandria, Louisiana
Okay, so the fleas are literally trying to CARRY US OFF down here. The dogs are getting dry skin from us bathing them so much.

We sprayed the yard and the house, didn't work. Supposedly got some really good stuff from the co-op, too.

I guess my question is: What do y'all think works better, Frontline or Advantix? IMO, Advantage doesn't seem to do anything at all.

DH has threatened to kick the dogs outside if we can't control them, quick. I decided I would try Bengal's flea bombs this weekend. Gonna take me an hour to move my reptiles and birds, and to cover the aquariums!!!

Hi, we use Revolution for our dogs,last summer we broke down & got some.We've never tired the others before.
I lived in an old house that had fleas really bad.Bombed the place several times,but ended up having to get some Sevin dust & put it under the house.That stopped them,as much as I hated using the stuff it worked.
Good luck, Miriam
smile.png

For the dogs use whatever you want but if you don't get them out of the carpets and the rest of the house they will just get them back. I use Borax and sprinkle it everywhere. It's safe and it works wonders. I use it in my coops too and my birds don't get anything either.

We use frontline and *ahem, knock on wood*, have never had a flea problem. I have read that you can also sprinkle DE in your house, on rugs, under beds etc, and that will help kill the little buggars. Hang in there!

Well, we are willing to try ANYTHING!!! Someone at work mentioned merkle (sp?) bushes. Said you pull the leaves off and stuff them under the couch or in the cushions. Said fleas can't stand them. He did say they had a small odor, though, might not be UNpleasant, but wasn't the best in the world.

Going to be busy this weekend, I guess!!! Guess the first route we'll try is Borax. Might do the Sevin dust outside, too...about the DE, that might be an online deal...

I used Frontline for years with LOTS of Saint Bernards and had great results. Our vet just switched us to Revolution last year and so far, so good.
DO NOT use any of the drops you can buy over the counter from Hartz, like Bio-Spot. ONLY use Frontline or Revolution or vet RX type. TOTAL difference in forumula and how it affects the liver. LOTS of dogs have died from using the Hartz stuff. So, be careful.
Frontline controls fleas and ticks.
Good luck!
Nancy

I work for a vet and can tell you it totally depends on the dog/cats chemical make up. We have one client who has 2 dogs. Advantix works on one and frontline on the other. Switch it and they have problems.

Frontline does nothing for ticks for me. My co worker uses nothing but.

Also, if you have a major problem you will have to treat house and yard every 2 weeks for a while. Flee eggs hatch out that often. Ask your vet for a capstar pill. it works for 24 hours and kills every flee on animal to get imediate relief. This is fine to use with topical flee meds.

otc products from walmart or grocery store don't work very well, and Some animals have neurologic issues with it.

hope this helps some.....

When we brought Piddle in with her broken leg, they gave her a Capstar. Awesome stuff!!! I want a year's supply of it! The things were literally falling off of her right there! They gave me something else to take home, another pill that started with a "C", said it controlled fleas for 30 days. Was closer to 15, but like I said, we have a problem with them here.

We are willing to treat every three days for weeks if we have to, to get rid of them.

Something an old vet told me once: “The best flea killer and preventer is sitting in your hall closet; your vacuum cleaner!” He was right too. We had a major flea problem a couple years ago. We'd tried baths, dips, collars, gels, foggers, the whole 9 yards. They would ease up, but only as long as it took to hatch a new bunch of fleas.

Just set your vacuum to it's lowest height setting and go to town. Do the rugs 4 or 5 times a day real slow. Empty the contents into an old coffee can with some newspaper crumpled up in the bottom. Place some more paper on top, take it outside and BBQ them. After about a week of that combined with the other measures, the fleas are done.

Back
Top Bottom