Fleas and Ticks

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ozark hen, Apr 24, 2008.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Here we go again, warm weather and the fleas are awful here. I have dusted my shih-tzus with D.E. and used all natural flea/tick spray and nothing works. Poor puppies have scabs, is there anything I can do that will work? I have put D.E. down in all the carpets and left it for hours before vacuuming, which still left some in the carpet. Can anyone help?

2. PennyinOK

PennyinOK Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2008
    Se Oklahoma
    I have Shih Tzus also and I don't know if you keep their hair short or not but I clip mine to a shorter length and use frontline spray once a month. When we lived in california we would put eucalyptus leaves in the dogs bed it seemed to help repel the fleas. good luck

3. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I know cedar shavings are not good for chickens, but they are good bedding for dogs-ticks & fleas don't like it at all. If you have a dog bed with a zipper, put some in it.

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

We use Frontline on our dogs and cats that go outside. I know some people don't like to use the chemicals on pets but I've never found anything else that works. We have never had any problems or reactions. I just bought some from Entirely Pets www.entirelypets.com after some on this site recommended it. It was a lot cheaper than my vet or locals stores. I ordered it on Saturday afternoon and received it Monday at noon. It was shipped from California & I live in PA. If the post office can do that with Frontline why can't they do it with Chicks and eggs? [​IMG]

5. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    I have been a dog groomer for 25 years and let me say that the fleas are going to be rotten this year. The weather has been just perfect for them.
    I am all about natural products, but if you really want to get rid of them I suggest Frontline Plus. It is topical and you can use it about every 2-3 months. Every month if the infestation is bad. There are just too many diseases that can be caused by fleas and ticks to mess around with them. You can get it at your vet. In my experience the natural stuff just doesn't work effectively and you will waste your time and money on other products. I have seen too many of my clients go that route only to continue to have problems. I also reccomend giving Brewers Yeast in their food to help keep the pests away. It does something to the taste of their blood that can help deter bugs, but will not get rid of a problem.
    We also spray our yard at the begining of every season with triazadine. It attacthes to to your hose. Just give your yard a good spray, let it dry and you should be good for the rest of the summer. You can purchase it at Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart.
    Again, I am an ALL natural girl, but I have yet to find a natural product that will get rid of a problem with fleas.
    Good luck!!

6. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    When we moved to north floirda our dogs were on frontline. All of a sudden they were covered in fleas to the point that I could not allow them inside. We dipped the dogs in flea dip tried everything. then someone told me about boric acid powder I got some at the local dollar store and sprinkled it all over my yard and inside the house that was ten years ago and so far I havent had a problem since.This year my son moved back home and has been taking our collie outside of their yard and I am finding a few on him but my other dogs are fine as long as they stay in the yard. Back then I also got it online so you maybe able to find it there it really works. hope this helps

7. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Thanks to all! I wish we could just do the yard but these puppies love running in the fields! I am putting Panalog on their scabs after bathing the areas. I feel so bad for them. I will run into the MFA and pick up some Frontline this morning. I really didn't want to clip them as yet since they are looking for homes. LOL I would do a monstrous job. The adults I don't care if they look like a kid got ahold of the clippers on them, but the puppies ...LOL They are 3 1/2 months old now. Only sold half the litter and we are in the "puppy capital" here.

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Just stick with the DE, start adding some garlic in the dog food, and like Rte.66_chicks said, add some cedar shavings to the dogs bedding. These three things together should work! Also, do you feed the DE to the dogs? My dog gets 1 tsp. of the food grade DE mixed with a spoonful of yogurt everyday. I have noticed a HUGE difference since I have been doing that and as long as it is food grade, it is completely safe! We've been combating fleas for 3 years now. Thank heavens for the DE! I think the battle of the fleas is finally coming to an end! [​IMG] Good luck!

By the way, frontline doesn't do squat for my dog! It's the pits!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  9. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have used Frontline for years and lately, the past two or more years, I didn't think it was doing anything and disgusted over the price I have to pay with the four adults in the house. My dogs love the yogurt and I have food grade D.E. so...............with seven of them I need to find an easier way. LOL Thanks. Is the garlic safe for them to eat? I need to research that, it seems I read somewhere it wasn't good for them but I may be thinking of something else. Thank you so much!!

10. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    DD's groomer told me fleas are becoming resistant to the chemical flea products. She uses a shampoo with Neem oil in it and it works every time! I have read that you can give it internally and that helps too. We are having tick problems so my dogs are getting it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by