1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fleas or something...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PTSM, Nov 23, 2012.

1. PTSM

PTSM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    I have three hens. One of them has developed pustules that are hard and look swollen around her vent. She also has what look like eggs layed by a flea or mite, and small flea type insects around her vent and in plumage. The other two have the small bugs too, and one looks like she's also developing the eggs around her vent in the last couple days. I don't think it's red mites or fleas, but there are definitely little transparent bugs and what look to be small eggs around vents.

Any idea what this is and how to treat? I'm especially worried about the pustules around her vent.

Thanks!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Most likely mites or lice. If you search on here you will find multiple treatments.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I use a poultry dust from TSC.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/y-tex-reg-gardstar-reg-garden-poultry-dust-shaker-can-2-lb--2204294

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by