Flemish Giant Help

The standards are updated every 5 years, and though they are written by the breed clubs, they are the property of the ARBA, so the only way to get an accurate version of the current standard is to read it in the latest edition of the ARBA's Standards of Perfection. Even the breed club usually doesn't print a word-for-word description of their own breed. But as hard as the Standards Committees try to make the wording uniform and easily understood, there is still no substitute for talking to someone who really knows the breed and can show you what good really looks like.

Well.. here's the Himalayan boy I got. He's 4 mos old. Poor guys never been handled besides the minimum. If i sit him on my, or my sons lap, he's stiff but doesn't run or scratch

Quote: Yes. It was developed by crossing Champagne D'Argent and Californian does to Flemish Giant bucks, and then crossing the resulting offspring together to produce a fast-growing meat rabbit that is tolerant of the heat in Alabama and Texas, where it was developed. An Altex may have points, or it may be completely white, but the fur is somewhat thin (to improve heat tolerance) so it isn't considered dual purpose like the New Zealand and Californian. When it was first created, only bucks were sold, to be used by commercial producers over their Cali and NZ does. These days, some commercial breeders may have "pure" Altex herds.

Back
Top Bottom