Fleshy 'bits'in egg

Lwilkie

Hatching
Jan 20, 2021
Hi All,

I cracked an egg today and to my surprise these extra bits came out! To my eye they look like embryos but it can't be as our chooks are in a huge but enclosed coop (to keep safe from foxes) and we don't have a rooster. The egg was quite long, and a bit bigger than usual. I thought it might be a double yolker before I cracked it as it was large but it wasn't.

Does anyone know what this is? We're in Australia so in the height of Summer, if that's relevant.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210121_144747.jpg
    20210121_144747.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 46
X2 above. You don’t often see those in grocery store eggs because they candle and remove those during processing, many people find them unappetizing because they think it is an embryo, rest assured it is not.

May sound gross, but its much like our blood clots we women can sometimes get. Or more so pieces of fleshy uterine lining.. perfectly normal (although not common) and fine to eat.

May sound gross, but its much like our blood clots we women can sometimes get. Or more so pieces of fleshy uterine lining.. perfectly normal (although not common) and fine to eat.
Not really.....actually, not at all.
The OP's pic shows what is probably tissue from inside the reproductive tract,
but not from the uterus(that's where shelling happens in chickens).
Maybe this will give you a better understanding:

Back
Top Bottom