flies and stinky!

stephiepoomomma

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
south central florida
We just cleaned our coop last weekend and today it is full of flies and stinky! We just have dirt on the ground and whatever hay has dropped from the sleeping-egg laying area (we're new at this!). We added dirt to the ground last weekend since they were kicking so much of it out. Our chickens just started laying about 3 weeks ago.

We just cleaned our coop last weekend and today it is full of flies and stinky! We just have dirt on the ground and whatever hay has dropped from the sleeping-egg laying area (we're new at this!). We added dirt to the ground last weekend since they were kicking so much of it out. Our chickens just started laying about 3 weeks ago.

By coop are you referring to the actual shelter structure or the enclosed pen, which is actually more commonly called the run? Only asking as the reference to "sleeping/egg laying area" almost makes it sound like that is the coop and the smelly area in question would be more like the run. Perhaps a photo of your setup might help.
On to some questions - how large of an area do you have your birds in and how many birds are there? The level of work involved in keeping an area tidy and smell free will vary based on the amount of area/number of birds in that space.

I am talking about the run...whoops! We have 6 chickens in an 8x8 enclosed area...running under the coop style. I'll have to get out there and take a picture! On the bottom of the coop we have hardware cloth as the floor that is about 3-4 feet off the ground we're hay and poop falls to the run on the ground. I'll post pics.soon! Thanks!

I have and works great, it needs to stay dry or you will be putting more lime down the run drys out. I have a 20/20 run only half so covered so after it rains I give it a couple of days and I sprinkle more down.

Back
Top Bottom