Flies that bite

mamamo

Chirping
11 Years
May 1, 2009
we have had hens for 11 years and of course along with hens you usually have some flies. We have never been bit by a fly, but now a neighbor is complaining that flies from our chickens are biting them. Has anyone ever had a problem with biting flies and chickens ??

we have had hens for 11 years and of course along with hens you usually have some flies. We have never been bit by a fly, but now a neighbor is complaining that flies from our chickens are biting them. Has anyone ever had a problem with biting flies and chickens ??
Recommend Deep Woods Off.

Can’t control nature on their property.

We have flies that bite. They hurt when they bite, almost as bad as fireants. They are a gray with black stripes. Small, not a horsefly, same size or slightly smaller than a regular housefly. I have lived here 6 years and always had biting flies. Had chickens since March. I don't think your chickens caused the flies.
I notice that you live in Texas are the biting flies indigenous to texas or are they everywhere, the flies we have around our chicken are regular size flies they look like house flies to me with that iridescence of gold in their bodies. ?

You can set up several fly traps around the property. They fill up fast. It won’t stop them, but will help reduce their numbers.
We have set up a fly trap which we have done for years and yes it does reduce their numbers but we still have flies, we also use d.e. in the chicken yard to help. The flies we have are regular size look like house flies and they don't bite. Someone in texas posted they have grey striped small flies that do bite but I have never seen that kind of fly here. thanks for posting

I had a mite issue and flies. I sprayed my coops with permethrin to get rid of the mites and to my surprise it also eliminated the flies. The bonus is there is no egg withdrawal period. I get it at TSC. Some companies make cattle ear tags that has permethrin in them to help keep the flies off of the cattle.

There are many species of flies and many of them bite. And as another poster mentioned, the flies were always there, even before you kept chickens there.
Perhaps your neighbor doesn't like the idea of you having chickens and just wants a reason to complain.

There are two ways to reduce fly numbers. One is biological https://gro2max.com/farm360/
The other chemical. This one really works fast. Golden Malrin Fly Bait. You'll see piles of flies in no time. Depending on the size of your operation, it comes in 1 pound, 5, 10 and 40 pound quantities. Unless you have a big farm with lots of horses and cattle, the 1 pound will last quite a while.
https://www.starbarproducts.com/all-products/baits/golden-malrin-fly-bait

We use Golden Malrin. It does kill a lot of flies. In the past I have bought the 1lb cans. When they were out of the cans, I bought a bucket of it They carry it at TSC. I'm still on the bucket from last year and it still works. We will see how long it lasts. I probably have another couple of years worth left.

I notice that you live in Texas are the biting flies indigenous to texas or are they everywhere, the flies we have around our chicken are regular size flies they look like house flies to me with that iridescence of gold in their bodies. ?
[/QUOT

Not sure indigenous to Texas or not. Tried to research on them-not much luck. Google kept throwing the black biting flies from swampy wetlands. These are not small and black. They kinda look like a houseful only slightly smaller, kinda grayish with black stripes.

Back
Top Bottom