Float test question

Lori J

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2017
I have some eggs my neighbor had given me from January. She said she had refrigerated them after about a week. I was going to do the float test on them but my question is, why do you have to use cold water to do the float test? Can you use warm or hot water To do the float test, especially on fresh eggs? I know that fresh eggs are not supposed to be dunked in cold water because it causes the pores to open and can let in bacteria. On a side note, this lady stores her eggs with the smaller or pointy end upward. I have always heard that you should store them with that end down. Should I be a busybody and tell her that?

If you’re asking to see if they’re safe to eat I would just crack them individually as you eat them. Sight and smell is a better indicator than float testing them. Especially in times like this, you’ll know if an egg looks off or not.

As far as pointy side up or down, I used to do it whichever way, but now I do pointy side down because I got used to it due to hatching my eggs.

In theory they might be fine. In practice, you can float test them to see how big the air cells are, but that's not going to tell you if they are edible or not.
Candling them will show cracks in the shells (BAD!) or strange yolk patterns, but opening each up into a separate dish would be best. Or, don't tell her, and throw them all out.
Mary

I store them pointy end down but I don't even know the reason behind it, just read it somewhere...

3 months old? I'd eat them, though always good idea to check each egg as you crack it. Float test is only going to confirm that they've been sitting around a while.

Back
Top Bottom