Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Pics
This was very helpful. My Mother use to test chicken eggs with the water test when I was a child but I could not remember what was an indicator of a good egg. This cleared it up completely. From now on I will not be so upset about the eggs they do not hatch on day 21. I will just test them and act accordingly. Debbie

I just did the float test on my 6 chicken eggs. All 6 are low floaters and 2 of them were rocking and rolling.
I am at day 22. Other eggs have hatched early/on time.
Cindy

I just did this test on my 2 duck eggs. One sunk but I know it was alive in the last couple of days as I saw movement.
The other one was rocking and rolling. I am on day 24-25. Is the sinker dead?

Aren’t you a little early for a float test duck eggs?

I don’t think your eggs will float in tell the egg loses extra weight and the air cell grows. I wouldn’t test in tell your eggs are overdue.

I agree I was thinking same thing. The float test is for overdue eggs. Duck eggs take longer than Chicken eggs 30 days.

Oesdog

So glad I found this thread....now to find it in me to be brave enough to do the float test. Maybe I'll wait another day or two. I have two broody Brahma hens, one on day 24 and the other on day 23. Anyone know if they tend to be late hatchers?? So far only 3 dead-in-shell chicks and today only a small piece of eggshell with a smattering of egg yolk outside the nestbox. I have no idea what's going on. Did mama hen eat this chick?? This is my first time hatching and it's really depressing
hit.gif

Broody 1 has 4 eggs left from her initial 8. Broody 2 has all her eggs left - 3. No one's eggs have been cheeping, pipping, moving or anything else at any time!

Both girls are determined sitters, and if anything, are sitting all the more determinedly today, as flat as pancakes.

As far as I can tell Broody 1 hasn't left the nestbox all day today (although the eggshell and yolk was outside the nestbox so I'm guessing she did that!), and broody 2 has been out maybe three times today, but only for literally 30 seconds, 2 minutes and then 5 minutes. This is very unlike her, as she has usually been out for maybe 30 mins or more on other days, once or sometimes twice a day. Note: I live in Thailand and the temperature/humidity levels are very high here at the moment.

Sure would appreciate some thoughts/encouragement
idunno.gif

I just tried it and had one sinker! Broke it open and there was a fully developed chick so not all sinkers are Duds. Just Sayin

Back
Top Bottom