Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JJMR794, Aug 7, 2010.

1. camchick

camchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Great bit of info! I will try my cots eggs when I get home from work as they are 2 days over due

thanks again

2. camchick

Jul 22, 2011
    Quick update... Checked eggs.... One rockin' the world and 4 low floaters! And ones just pipped!

3. chickenhawk1982

chickenhawk1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    That's cool. What kind of eggs? My BLRW are 2 days late today...but I had 3 hatch yesterday. I hope something happens with the other 12 I hate to lose that many chicks.

4. camchick

Jul 22, 2011
    Tibetan tuxedo and golden Italian quail. I have bob whites, Chinese painted and other cots due to hatch next week too!

5. JACKO

JACKO Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    I HAVE TWO BANTAM EGGS READY TO HATCH TOMORROW, I TRIED THE FLOAT TEST ON THEM AND EVERY THING LOOKED PERFECT, BUT THERE WAS NO MOVEMENT IN THE WATER, COMENTS PLEASE, REGARDS JACKO

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    this test id for "overdue" eggs...

not eggs about to hatch.

leave them in the incubator on lockdown until 2 days past due before you float test.

7. WoodenSpoonChik

WoodenSpoonChik New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Does dunking the eggs remove their natural protective coating? Or is it okay because they are so close to hatching?

8. ladychicks

ladychicks New Egg

Jun 6, 2012
    Hi,
    I placed my eggs in incubator May 14 and they have not hatched. I did the float test and I would say the pointy end of the eggs were out of the water by 5-10% (sure hope I didn't hurt them if they are a live.) There are no cracks in the eggs. So, this would be day 24 and no hatching has taken place. Should I still wait?
    Thanks,
    Darlene

9. scastle

scastle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    i guess i did someting wrong,have cou.quail eggs 5 days lat and this test said they were all good.candled some turkey eggs that i knew was no good .and they floated with 15% above water.nothing works for me

10. TheNuttyChick

TheNuttyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    CT
    Tried the float test today on eggs that were due 6/7,6/12 & 6/15. Found some duds all others were low floaters, but no dancers. I did have temp. issues at first and had only 1 hatch and 1 that could not break through (heard it chirpping but then died) from the 6/7 batch. Nobody else hatched yet. Do I still wait?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by