Flock attacked by "something" roosters and hens lefty for dead

Just FYI, I'm new to this site and was responding to someone who said that bobcats do not kill more than they can eat, but the placement of my bobcat story seems to not follow that previous comment.

Just had our first predator attack... Believe it was a dog. He killed two of my free range roosters. There was feathers everywhere as seen in the picture below

But there was no sign of blood.. The roosters are obviously dead but wasn't able to see any puncture wounds.

It's a sad day here in our home.

Just had our first predator attack... Believe it was a dog. He killed two of my free range roosters. There was feathers everywhere as seen in the picture below

But there was no sign of blood.. The roosters are obviously dead but wasn't able to see any puncture wounds.

It's a sad day here in our home.

Feather trail in first image looks like killer dragged and plucked at same time. That could indicate raccoon. Lack of puncture could also be a sign of dog where birds were simply crushed by a "soft" mouth which also can kill. Soft mouth for me indicates play.

Feather trail in first image looks like killer dragged and plucked at same time. That could indicate raccoon. Lack of puncture could also be a sign of dog where birds were simply crushed by a "soft" mouth which also can kill. Soft mouth for me indicates play.

@Orpie ,I agree with @centrarchid , That trail of feathers looks just like our raccoon attack. When my dog got our chickens, both times, feathers were random. Not in a trail type pattern. She attached their back ends mostly as the chickens were running from her-and there was definite puncture wounds on the chickens. The raccoons ripped the heads off some of them, and others had no visible blood or puncture wounds, but we lost 10+ good hens to those raccoons before we got them.

@Halimah , So sorry to hear of your loss also.
hugs.gif
We are here to help. Let us know if we can be of further assistance. With as many years experience as you have had, you can teach us a thing or two
wink.png

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses. Can't really decide exactly where I stand on this. These roosters were free range... And this attack took place right near both the coop for my hens, and the roosting place of the Roo's. If it was coons why didn't they get my hens too. They are ensconced in a coop that is solidly built. A run that has 8 foot high fences above ground, and 2 feet beneath ground with 1/4 in. Hardware cloth. But... The run has no roof. A predator could conceivably jump into the run and have a feast.
I don't know... Just trying to make sense Of it all

Do the hens and roosters all roost together?

Racoons not strong jumpers but they are good at finding toe holds for climbing and can force their way through gaps.

If raccoons, then odds are they will be back tonight.

Do the hens and roosters all roost together?

Racoons not strong jumpers but they are good at finding toe holds for climbing and can force their way through gaps.

If raccoons, then odds are they will be back tonight.
No.. Hens and roosters roost separately. Roosters have a little area where chicken coop was built that for roosters. Hens are next door in coop. They DO NOT ever mix. Last night came and went and all are well. So... Guess it was just something isolated I guess. RIP Nailhead & Waddle Waddle.

Back
Top Bottom