flock block?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jesskoot, Jan 21, 2011.

1. jesskoot

jesskoot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Central VA
    What is a Flock Block? and where do you find one?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    block of grain an minerals and such for the birds to peck at...more of something to do than a food source...most run around 9% protein...

you should be able to pick them up where you buy feed...although some don't carry it

3. Farmer Andy

Farmer Andy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    I just picked up my first flock block at TSC. The manager I spoke with said he has 25 chickens and it lasts him about a month or more. As Teach97 said the packaging does say it is only meant as a supplement and not the only food option. I put it out a couple weeks ago and they seem to be enjoying it. I think it was right around $11.

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I just got my flock block, but it was 20.00. It weighed 25 lbs and was made by Purena (sp?) . They had to order it for me b/c nobody carried it. I put it in my run on Wed and it's only been pecked at a little...but then I have chicken chickens and it always takes a while before they take to anything. I also only have 10 17 week old bantams, so they don't eat that much...except for their oatmeal and scratch...then they're little chicken piggies.

5. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I gave my girls one for Christmas and they are kind of "Ho hum" about it.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  7. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have been using flock block for a couple years now,it is great in the winter time in the coop for them to peck at,it helps with boredem and feather picking and such.It is great if you have to keep them confined due to the weather.Its not to be used for feed its like cookies are to us.I does take awhile for them to peck and eat it but once they know what it is they will like it.DH just picked up one today at tractor supply and it was 12.00 dollars.This [​IMG]is a flock block

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow!! $20 in New York!! [​IMG] Yes, as pointed out, it's a treat/supplement and should not be used as a main food source, since you want more protein, etc. for laying hens. Most TS's carry it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  9. radiodog

radiodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    my girls seem to enjoy it..its something to peck at.

10. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Last year my hens loved it. This year it looks slightly different and they only peck at it occ. They must have reformulated. Anyway i probably will not buy it anymore if it looks like this one. Gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by