flock block?

block of grain an minerals and such for the birds to peck at...more of something to do than a food source...most run around 9% protein...

you should be able to pick them up where you buy feed...although some don't carry it

I just picked up my first flock block at TSC. The manager I spoke with said he has 25 chickens and it lasts him about a month or more. As Teach97 said the packaging does say it is only meant as a supplement and not the only food option. I put it out a couple weeks ago and they seem to be enjoying it. I think it was right around $11.

I just got my flock block, but it was 20.00. It weighed 25 lbs and was made by Purena (sp?) . They had to order it for me b/c nobody carried it. I put it in my run on Wed and it's only been pecked at a little...but then I have chicken chickens and it always takes a while before they take to anything. I also only have 10 17 week old bantams, so they don't eat that much...except for their oatmeal and scratch...then they're little chicken piggies.

Make your own:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=111647

It allows you to control what goes into it, without unnecessary preservatives.
wink.png

I have been using flock block for a couple years now,it is great in the winter time in the coop for them to peck at,it helps with boredem and feather picking and such.It is great if you have to keep them confined due to the weather.Its not to be used for feed its like cookies are to us.I does take awhile for them to peck and eat it but once they know what it is they will like it.DH just picked up one today at tractor supply and it was 12.00 dollars.This
44824_flock_block.jpg
is a flock block

Wow!! $20 in New York!!
ep.gif
Yes, as pointed out, it's a treat/supplement and should not be used as a main food source, since you want more protein, etc. for laying hens. Most TS's carry it.

Last edited:
Last year my hens loved it. This year it looks slightly different and they only peck at it occ. They must have reformulated. Anyway i probably will not buy it anymore if it looks like this one. Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom