Roosting Jersey Giant

Jstaz

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2015
South Alabama
My Jersey Giant hens are not getting the point to roost on the bars in the coop. I have various roost heights. Plenty of roosting space. These are the first JG I have had so I am learning about that breed still. They keep roosting in my nests. I had blocked the nests off for weeks and they still either find a way in the nests or roost on the floor or ramp to the roosts. Are JG roosting style like Silkies are to roosting on the floor?

How old are the JG's? What are the roosts made of? Can we get a pic of the roosts so we can see clearances - how far the roosts are from wall and ceiling? And do you have other chickens that do use the roosts? How much light is in the coop when it's time for them to roost? Could there be a bully hen or hens that won't let them roost? How many linear feet of roost do you have, and how many chickens?

How old are the JG's? What are the roosts made of? Can we get a pic of the roosts so we can see clearances - how far the roosts are from wall and ceiling? And do you have other chickens that do use the roosts? How much light is in the coop when it's time for them to roost? Could there be a bully hen or hens that won't let them roost? How many linear feet of roost do you have, and how many chickens?
Roost made of 2x4 (some flat and some on edge). All are 12” from wall. Highest roost is 12” from ceiling. Recent roost test addition is 2x4 on edge 12” from ceiling resulting in most of the flock moving from the lower flat roosts to the higher edge roosts believe it or not. Spacing on the roosts is ample. 384” or 32’ worth of roost space for 22 birds averages 17” per bird space which is way more than the recommended 8-12” standard. I have no issue with any of the other birds roosting including my 2 pullets (30 wks old). The JGs/brahma are 27 wks old. I do know that the other birds bully the JG some even though the JG is twice as tall as they are but even at night there is so much space on the bottom two roosts when I pick them out of the nest and place on the roosts they stay there with little or no picking from the other birds.

Thank you for all that info. I don't see any problem with any of that. The only other thing I can think to ask is, how high is the lowest roost? I am wondering if the roosts are too high for the JG, they may prefer lower roosts since they are a heavier breed and may not want to jump down from a high roost. I also thought, if they are young they may still want to cuddle together as they did as chicks, but at 27 weeks they should have outgrown that. I think that if you keep putting them on the roosts after dark as you have been, and they stay there through the night, in a week or so they should start roosting on their own. This is not uncommon.

Thank you for all that info. I don't see any problem with any of that. The only other thing I can think to ask is, how high is the lowest roost? I am wondering if the roosts are too high for the JG, they may prefer lower roosts since they are a heavier breed and may not want to jump down from a high roost. I also thought, if they are young they may still want to cuddle together as they did as chicks, but at 27 weeks they should have outgrown that. I think that if you keep putting them on the roosts after dark as you have been, and they stay there through the night, in a week or so they should start roosting on their own. This is not uncommon.
The roosts are 3’ high, 5’ high, and 7’ high. The lowest roost is about the same height as the nests. The structure is repurposed that is why the nests are as high as they are.

Attachments

• IMG_8781.jpeg
    IMG_8781.jpeg
    596.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8782.jpeg
    IMG_8782.jpeg
    521 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8783.jpeg
    IMG_8783.jpeg
    632.2 KB · Views: 15
Hmm. In the second picture, that first ladder leads right to the nests. I think 5' and 7' are too high for the JG girls. Can you lower the nests so the roosts, at 3' high, are clearly higher than the nests? And be sure the ladder leads to the roosts. If you could do that I think they might roost where they are supposed to. And they should be able to get into the nests from the ground. If not, just put a ledge in front of the nests. Let me see if @NatJ agrees or has another suggestion.

I have several brahmas. They & I like their roosts 18" from the wall. I think 36" is the highest I'd go with roosts for a heavy breed. They also need extra head room. Mine will not use a ramp to get onto or off roosts, they fly up & jump down.

Back
Top Bottom