Flock Blocks- they are tasty!

My flock loves flock blocks!

I do wonder about whether it is good for them however because mine will ignore their pellets and eat just flock block for a few days when I buy one.

I did find they were a good distraction for bored/pecking birds. I was thinking of setting one out the day I put my youngsters into the "big" pen so everyone is occupied and the little ones don't have a clue what it is.

I got a good laugh out of watching the ducks try to eat it. They seem to only be able to get the parts the chickens peck off and leave behind.

Anyone know how to make your own cheaper?

I have two flock blocks for my two flocks.

I don't think I'll buy them again because I have all food and water in the run, and I like to remove all food at the end of the day.

So I turn a bucket upside down over the block. It is also sitting in a rubber pan. But still, I know the mice can easily chew at it a little, because of the crumbles at the bottom of the pan.

But I had to try them, because they LOOKED so tasty and fun!

Quote:
You can't leave it outside unless it's in a dry area protected from rain; thing is they would probably attract rodents; we stash ours in the feed bin at night and put it back out during the day. It is worth the money, I think, gives them something to do, it's kinda like licking a lollypop. It's not supposed to be food; just a supplement. Ours free range so they have all the protein they need most of the time.

I have only 8 chickens, does anyone think it would be too much for them? I really like them to eat a lot of their feed. Maybe if I put it out for maybe and hour or two at the end of the day?

My chickies couldn't figure out how to eat it... I think it was to hard for them
hmm.png

Quote:
It'll just take them longer to eat it. if you are really worried about rodents or messing up their feed, turn a bucket lid upside down and place the block. then wehn you want to be done just put the bucket over it and seal it up. to open use your foot to pry at the lid a little while pulling up on the bucket.

I have a flock of 43 and it took them 5 or 6 days to polish off one. Ill def. get them in winter to keep them busy, and they still go for their feed over the block.

I agree with Vatterpa and that is a good idea with the bucket!

We put the flock block in the coop itself when we had an issue with them picking on each other and again when we had egg eating. It gave them something to focus on.

I do think my birds do not eat enough pellets when they have a flock block out, it is like my sons with chocolate cake in the house....that is all they eat until it is gone and they get hungry again.

Quote:
It'll just take them longer to eat it. if you are really worried about rodents or messing up their feed, turn a bucket lid upside down and place the block. then wehn you want to be done just put the bucket over it and seal it up. to open use your foot to pry at the lid a little while pulling up on the bucket.

I have a flock of 43 and it took them 5 or 6 days to polish off one. Ill def. get them in winter to keep them busy, and they still go for their feed over the block.

Thank you so much, I will definitely try it!
smile.png

On the topic of giving your chickens something to do... my father in law picked up a huge sunflower head on a 4' stalk at the farmer's market last week. I used a bit of baling twine and suspended it about 3 feet off the ground in the shelter the girls use when it's pouring rain. I waited to hang it until it *was* a rainy day.
Watching the girls jump up to nab a seed out of the head was hilarious! Gonna have to get a bunch more heads for the nasty winter weather coming up, and grow them myself next year.

I got one last summer. They disintegrate in a good rain! But they loved it! Great idea about the bucket! If I see one this winter think I'll try it again inside to help ward off winter cabin fever!!

Back
Top Bottom