Flock Dying

brandytab

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Upstate NY
Hi,

I could really use some advice/direction. I have no idea what is going on here. My flock is in my yard during the day, in the coop at night.

Two chickens have died today - both went into seizures and convulsions and dropped. No warning signs for the one that just did - the first one did start acting lethargic, and then it happened. Yesterday everyone was totally fine. Foaming at the mouth.

Any ideas? What in the world is going on here? Niether google nor BYC search is giving me any answers.

No new chickens introduced into flock. No change in food or area. All chickens are from the same breeder.

There is no diarrhea in the flock that I can see - normal stools. No lethargy ahead of time except for a short peroid of time.

I currently have one twitching and puffed up. I fear she will be next. She was acting fine an hour ago.

Quote:
No herbicides or chemicals.

Wait - except for rose food. But that was a week ago that I fed the flowers/roses.

I know most consider this a measure of last resort but take them to a veterinarian to get an accurate diagnosis. All too often we guess and in the end we loose too many birds until we either get through the disease or find an antibiotic that works. Most poultry diseases work fairly rapidly and if death is going to occur it will normally happen within a few hours to a few days, which means there is not a lot of time to get things right.

Bo

Go to this flowchart.... it sounds like you need to contact a vet pronto. I would isolate any birds showing any sign of infection, by now though I think you're whole flock is probably infected. Please get a necropsy done on one of these animals and if you've been around any other chicken people you need to let them know ASAP so they can watch for signs of illness in their flock as well. I am so SORRY this is happening to you and wish I could be of more help. Also check your inbox as I'm sending you a pm.

http://chatham.ces.ncsu.edu/growingsmallfarms/poultryillnessflowchart.pdf

Im clearing out my inbox right now - please pm again!

Mushrooms? My daughter said she saw one of them eating wild mushrooms in my yard.

Back
Top Bottom