Flock-herder wanna-be in Wasilla, AK

Lloyds Farm

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 27, 2012
Looking to start this year! Already have a fence and small coop for summertime use. Will need plans for a lighted, insulated winter coop & where's the best place to get chicks around here? No preference except we really like green/blue eggs and breeds that will lay all year long. How many chickens should we get for our family of 6? Also, I've heard of the hybrid ducks that lay real good - where can they be found? Thanks!

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! So glad you joined us! I would think that 4 hens would be fine, unless you eat tons of eggs! Now, for ducks, I myself, have a Khaki Campbell, and the little thing lays eggs every day!!
ep.gif
I'm always telling her to take a break! I'm sure you're going to love being a chickeneer! Enjoy!

If you're looking for cold hardy birds & green eggs I would suggest looking at Ameraucanas. The come in a variety of colors & are pretty good egg layers. Good Luck!
And I just have to ask...can your chickens see Russia from their coop?
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif
I've actually been to Wasilla, AK!!! Twas the summer of '08 and I just loved that whole state. I don't have any advice as to where to obtain poultry there though, sorry. What is the place in your avatar?

Back
Top Bottom