Flock leader?

I agree with AArt - POL are easily sold. Will pay for quite a bit of feed.

Personally, I introduce chicks much earlier, I am having an easy integration at 3-4 weeks. However, if you pull birds and add birds all at the same time, it kind of discombobulates and will probably work. Space and safety zones help.

I started with dual purpose birds - thinking the same thing, but I tried the meat birds last year, and will go that route from now on. The difference in the carcass is amazing. And it is not a genetically modified, just good husbandry crossing of birds.

I would keep one or two of the older(?) birds. Pullets and cockerels are not a good mix. An older hen will help grow up a good cockerel.

Good luck, I think you are off to a realistic good start.

Mrs K

Point Of Lay.
Why eat a bird that can produce eggs for you....or could be sold at a decent price?
POL pullets are the most valuable birds in a flock.
As always - you've given me something to think about.

As we are empty empty nesters, we will eat between 9-12 eggs a week. So we thought leaving 4 POL would be enough for us. Selling eggs isn't practical as we are far off the beaten path. So the plan that this newbie concocted was get a dozen, cull for meat, and leave just enough for our egg needs.
Then add some additional chicks to grow through fall, and harvest again in spring.
In hindsight, I probably should have posted my entire plan up front before getting started, but I didn't even know about this excellent site and the incredible resources you experts really are for us newbies. I tend to analyze everything (over analyze according to the Mrs). So now I'll need to noodle over your ideas, and I may post my plan to see what people think.

Selling eggs isn't practical as we are far off the beaten path. So the plan that this newbie concocted was get a dozen, cull for meat, and leave just enough for our egg needs.
Not a bad plan....and you may not find buyers for the POL pullets either.
I'm an over-analyzer too...it'll drive you bonkers with chicken 'planning'.
There's lots of different ways to manage a flock for food,
try what you want and see how it goes...Observe and Adjust.
Have you ever eaten a layer breed bird?

Usually, she's the first one out of the coop in the morning, and the last one in at night. The first to peck somebody else to get out of their way when food is involved. Usually the first to start the alarm call when they spot something suspicious.

This is exactly what our leader girl does. She was so bossy at first I was concerned she was a he. Always first out of the pop door in the morning. Last week we had a hawk buzzing the yard and she stayed in the pen squawking her head off until all were safe. The pen is covered in case anyone is concerned.

Not a bad plan....and you may not find buyers for the POL pullets either.
I'm an over-analyzer too...it'll drive you bonkers with chicken 'planning'.
There's lots of different ways to manage a flock for food,
try what you want and see how it goes...Observe and Adjust.
Have you ever eaten a layer breed bird?

Thanks aart. As being ill prematurly ended my career, I try to keep my mind stimulated by trying and learning new things. I'm not afraid to fail, so I'll try something, learn from my mistakes and adjust. I am an animal lover, and want to be respectful of their health and lives while I learn. I'd hate to see my flock suffer from my inexperience. That's why I ask so many questions. But I'm also an omnivore - and know animals must die to feed us. So I will be as humane as possible in my learning process.

I have never eaten a layer breed, but I was a hunter, and have eaten wild turkey, duck, venison, moose and black bear. So I'm ok with gamey meat and make some mean sausage. As I was dealing with my health issue, I was confine to a wheelchair for a few years. I used that time to learn how to cook. Thankfully, I've become very competent in the kitchen. I'm pretty sure I'll find a way to make anything palatable. Even more thankfully - I'm in remission and while still mobility challenged, that wheelchair is now stored away in the basement!

I have never eaten a layer breed, but I was a hunter, and have eaten wild turkey, duck, venison, moose and black bear.
Will be interested to see what you think about them.
They are not 'gamey', to my knowledge(have eaten very little wild game and very long ago) they are just not your grocery chicken, more flavorful and 'toothsome'. Key is resting the cleaned carcass, or they can be unchewable.
I am not much of a cook....so...
I slaughter cockerels at 13-16 weeks, before they start causing chaos and while still tender enough to grill for that crispy skinned deliciousness. Not much meat but the grilled bones make for some excellent stock. Anything older than that I pressure cook until meat is done and is saved aside then a couple more hours to get that bone broth.

Resting the cleaned carcass in fridge for 48-72 hours for rigor to pass is essential for chewable meat from any bird(except maybe CX?). Tho no homegrown bird I've eaten, layer or meat breed, is as soft as a grocery bird, they are more 'toothsome'.

Back
Top Bottom