Flock/Life Journey's 2019

Pics
I'm going to try BBWs again this spring. Got 10 or so now going to be processed in a couple weeks but very small. And I'm expecting piglets end of feb or early march. I was getting ready to have my boar processed and he escaped, well everyone escaped from their pen. He got hit by a car about 10 miles from my place. So 18 months growing pork and no pork. ARG.
What mehod do you us when processing your bbs? I've always used the cone for my heritage turks but I don't think my biggest cone could fit a bbw.. sorry to hear about your boar, must of been frustrating.. how old was he? I like to castrate my boars for eating.. Hormones taints the meat, But that's just me :idunno Just processed one of our barrows, Got a pretty good amount of meat off from him despite him being a runt.. Can't wait to get some smoked bacon, takes forever to smoke :th

I have two girls and a boy left, need to figure out an enclosure that will keep them in. So far, they've defeated me at every turn. But I've got an idea that I think will work, just need to put it into action.
Although I plan on upgrading to cow panels for my pigs I currently am using an electric fence with a 16 volt fencer that's pretty easy to move around.. Pigs have yet to escape from it so far.. https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Quik...1546808578&sr=8-3&keywords=electric+pig+fence

What mehod do you us when processing your bbs? I've always used the cone for my heritage turks but I don't think my biggest cone could fit a bbw..
Although I plan on upgrading to cow panels for my pigs I currently am using an electric fence with a 16 volt fencer that's pretty easy to move around.. Pigs have yet to escape from it so far.. https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Quik...1546808578&sr=8-3&keywords=electric+pig+fence
I still use cones, but I have two sizes of turkey cones. Mine are from Featherman.

Once the boar decided the shock didn't really bother his butt, he'd kind of fall down, butt first on the hot wire I had inside my fence. He'd break the wire and I'd restring it and he'd break it again, all the while working on his escape... He managed to get his nose under the standard 4x4 fence and managed to roll the wire up in a spot hard for me to see or get to until he had enough room to break out.

I like the premier 1 products, just need to save a bit before I can get it. Of course I'll have to retrain them to the wire, which I'm sure will be a thrill.

Back
Top Bottom