Flock/Life Journey's 2019

Good morning/evening,
Your getting ducks...How fun!!! Yes 4 females to 1 male will work(I have 3 to 1 and I can see some side affects so 4 will work great!). How big is the swing set? Most work great but ducks do have to have a little more room then chickens. Pekin ducks are great! I have one and...I hate to pick favorites...but he is a stinker. They will do great in cold weather as long as you have a coop free of any drafts and have plenty of straw(but you probably know all that cuz of chickens :p ). I am so excited about you getting ducks! They are so so fun! I am sorry if I kinda wedged my way into your conversation with someone else...just thought I could give you some tips. :D;)
Thank you! Any help is welcome :).
The swingset is actually quite big. I haven't measured it yet but it'd probably fit 6 hens comfortably. I'll try to measure it out and take pictures today.

So...i had the audacity to need too leave town for a little over a week. I paid someone too house/chicken/duck/dog sit (that's a mouth full :lol: 2 days before i was coming back i get a text from my closest neighbor (4 acres) that two of my dogs are at her porch barking frantically at her through her glass door. :mad: i called my other neighbor and got him too go to my home at which point I'm told the hose was on in the duck pond inside the run and my whole yard is flooded :barnieno one there so he opened a bag of dog food, shut off the hose and propped the door of my trailer open (4 weeks old pups inside...upset momma dog OUTSIDE) :rant

I comehome yesterday.....

Tragedy.

1 pup inside ( ok thank good) 6 outside wandering the yard. Gate to the run unlocked. 25 or so younger chicks drowned in the flood..meat birds starved to death, 2 ducklings missing. The rest of the ducklings came waddling out of the woods around the swamp. Oh...and roughly 3 dozen uncollected eggs and two now VERY broody hens.:rant:rant:rant:rant:rant

What. The. ?!?#!:he

:hit

I will not share the carnage pictures...who needs that. But they all received a Vikings funeral tonight.View attachment 1742240 View attachment 1742241 View attachment 1742242 View attachment 1742243 View attachment 1742245 View attachment 1742246 View attachment 1742247 View attachment 1742249 View attachment 1742250 View attachment 1742251

On a lighter note...i went to tractor supply to replace chicks (therapy chick purchases? Never) and ALL the chicks were 4 for a dollar. SO...guess who bought 52 chicks and 3 half price ducklings (basically the entire lot)?

Yup...that'd :jumpy:yesss:be me. They had crevacours!
I'm so sorry! Absolutely awful. :hugs

oh...also forgot to say that our 2 of our cats just had kittens. We have a total of 11 and they are so fun!
Baby kitties!!!:love:love
Look at the beautiful boy... :love View attachment 1742075
He is so fluffy! I love cats!:love
So...i had the audacity to need too leave town for a little over a week. I paid someone too house/chicken/duck/dog sit (that's a mouth full :lol: 2 days before i was coming back i get a text from my closest neighbor (4 acres) that two of my dogs are at her porch barking frantically at her through her glass door. :mad: i called my other neighbor and got him too go to my home at which point I'm told the hose was on in the duck pond inside the run and my whole yard is flooded :barnieno one there so he opened a bag of dog food, shut off the hose and propped the door of my trailer open (4 weeks old pups inside...upset momma dog OUTSIDE) :rant

Tragedy.

1 pup inside ( ok thank good) 6 outside wandering the yard. Gate to the run unlocked. 25 or so younger chicks drowned in the flood..meat birds starved to death, 2 ducklings missing. The rest of the ducklings came waddling out of the woods around the swamp. Oh...and roughly 3 dozen uncollected eggs and two now VERY broody hens.:rant:rant:rant:rant:rant

I will not share the carnage pictures...who needs that. But they all received a Vikings funeral tonight.View attachment 1742240 View attachment 1742241 View attachment 1742242 View attachment 1742243 View attachment 1742245 View attachment 1742246 View attachment 1742247 View attachment 1742249 View attachment 1742250 View attachment 1742251

On a lighter note...i went to tractor supply to replace chicks (therapy chick purchases? Never) and ALL the chicks were 4 for a dollar. SO...guess who bought 52 chicks and 3 half price ducklings (basically the entire lot)?

I'm so sorry about what happened to you. That's terrible. And unfortunately it's making me anxious because I'm planning on going on vacation this summer for about a week. My brother lives close by, so he could probably come and do the chores, but he doesn't always follow my instructions to the letter.

Just some pictures from yesterday(Warning-Picture heavy)
Free-rangers
DSC_0239.JPG
DSC_0238.JPG
DSC_0161 (2).JPG

Porcelain D'uccles(the rooster is the one who was badly injured; he's healed up well)
DSC_0191.JPG
DSC_0185.JPG

Hens from what we call the "Rainbow Pen" (not all pictured)
DSC_0173.JPG

My little call duck
DSC_0206.JPG

My ayam cemani and his lady(he has some red leakage in his wattles, but what can you expect from a free bird?)
DSC_0210.JPG
DSC_0213.JPG
The cochin and silkie pen
DSC_0175.JPG
DSC_0179.JPG

Winchester
DSC_0231.JPG

Tragedy.

Okay! This is HORRIBLE!!!! Who the heck!?!? And WHAT!!?? I would hurt someone! Please tell me the puppy inside was okay :fl
I just can’t even believe that!!!! I’m so sorry for you AND so angry with you:rant:mad::mad::mad::rant
I am happy for your new ones though!

Free-rangers
View attachment 1742517 View attachment 1742518 View attachment 1742519
Porcelain D'uccles(the rooster is the one who was badly injured; he's healed up well)
View attachment 1742520 View attachment 1742521
View attachment 1742523
My little call duck
View attachment 1742524
My ayam cemani and his lady(he has some red leakage in his wattles, but what can you expect from a free bird?)
View attachment 1742525View attachment 1742530 The cochin and silkie pen
View attachment 1742526 View attachment 1742531
Winchester
View attachment 1742532
Look at that face!! On da kitty!! :love:love:love
Love your chickens! Where did you get your call duck.. if I get ducks I think I want those... I’ve looked them up and they are quite expensive though...

Free-rangers
View attachment 1742517 View attachment 1742518 View attachment 1742519
View attachment 1742520 View attachment 1742521
View attachment 1742523
My little call duck
View attachment 1742524
View attachment 1742525View attachment 1742530 The cochin and silkie pen
View attachment 1742526 View attachment 1742531
Winchester
View attachment 1742532
Nice!

Look at that face!! On da kitty!! :love:love:love
Love your chickens! Where did you get your call duck.. if I get ducks I think I want those... I’ve looked them up and they are quite expensive though...

Lucky for me, my grandmother has calls which she allows me to hatch if I want for free, though I do know they can be expensive. I don't think hers are show quality, but I don't really mind. I will warn you, though, if you decide to get calls: they are very noisy, especially the females and they will fly. They also make nice snacks for wild critters like coons and weasels, but they are so small and cute it makes up for all the drawbacks.

Flock Update:

Everyone survived the storms here ok. my yard is trashed but thankfully no water got in or damage done to the coop! (glad we are using the shed):celebrate No eggs this morning, but I think yesterday it was more towards the afternoon when I saw eggs so I'll duck in and check around the time the older boys come home. Yesterday's eggs got used to make breaded chicken on top of cheese risotto!! YUM! :drool

Today a found a 30foot piece of fencing laying by the stalls (hiding in the tall grass) so I'm going to use that and 2 T-posts to make a temporary run attached to the back part of the shed/coop for the girls! DH says we can build the bigger and better run around it than. :D I'll start attaching it and putting up the T-posts and also figure out how I want the coop doors this afternoon. :ya

Back
Top Bottom