Flock of 8 With Bumble foot

zimileih

Songster
Mar 28, 2021
It's my first time dealing with bumblefoot. Unfortunately I didn't notice until the whole flock had black scabs on their feet. It's been really muddy and their roosts were too small, so I'm adding bigger roosts and sand to the pen.
The problem is healing their feet. Since it's my first time, I'm having trouble getting even one foot done and I need to get 16 done. Any advice or tips for taking care of the whole flock or making taking care of one quicker?

You should only do minor surgery when there's redness and swelling, or limping.
If any of your birds dont have any of those signs, leave them alone. Sometimes the scabs go away on their own, in time. Just check the footpads once a week or so.
Lower roosts and eliminate any high places in your yard where they jump down, such as lawn chairs, trash cans etc..
Use sandpaper and sand down roosts in order to get rid of burrs and splinters.

Clean the some of feet, worst and mildest, and take some good pics.
Are they limping?
You should only do minor surgery when there's redness and swelling, or limping.
If any of your birds dont have any of those signs, leave them alone. Sometimes the scabs go away on their own, in time. Just check the footpads once a week or so.
Lower roosts and eliminate any high places in your yard where they jump down, such as lawn chairs, trash cans etc..
Use sandpaper and sand down roosts in order to get rid of burrs and splinters.
They aren't limping. Their feet look puffy and redder than before. I'll modify my run and coop so they can't jump as much. Thank you.
I'll get some pictures after work.

@aart @dawg53

Actually I don't think they are looking as bad today. This is probably the biggest, but the rest have similar scabs.
20210623_190005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom