Flock raiser versus laying crumble

I prefer Flock raiser and oyster shell is always free choice on the side when there are active layers in the flock.

Explained well by NatJ is also my reasoning.

Flock raiser feed is about 1% calcium according to my recall.

Since making the switch away from layer and using FR year round, my elder birds now molt softer, maintain their character more, return to lay sooner (if).. just have over all better supported immune systems.. thanks to the additional amino acids, etc.

I agree with Ridgerunner that calcium level is only ONE factor and other things are MUCH more impactful such as genetics AND/or EXCESS calories from ANY treat source reducing OTHER nutrients.

I commend you for looking into possible causes and doing your best to take action! The flock raiser is also higher in niacin and other things.. it's a good choice for my flock and I have ZERO problem suggesting it for others IF it meets their needs and serves their purpose! :thumbsup

Couple quick questions.. reviewing the things you've said.. First, sorry for your losses and second thank you for being brave enough to seek answers. :hugs

What is your version of "young" chicken dying? Age please, and breeds of each.. these necropsies were done professionally? By a personal vet or state poultry lab? Can you share which state and how much it cost you? How many deaths, how far apart? Are these your first deaths in the 8 years?

What's been written so far isn't pointing to the deaths actually being related. Hope the rest continue to thrive! :fl
By “young”, less than a year. Probably close to 8ish months. I had 6 die within a 3 month period. 2 of those were older silkies (These were some of my oldest birds, probably 6ish years), one a splash Maran, a super blue layer and Two olive egger-these last four were from a hatchery and my first time using one at that. I’ve always picked up chicks locally, but I really wanted more egg color variety.
It’s just too many to not be related I think. It’s not that I haven’t had any deaths in 8 years, but very very seldom. And when it did happen, it was respiratory, or predator, or something fairly obvious. These 6 were healthy. Good meat on them, no parasites, no injury, totally normal and healthy appearing until they were dead. The necropsies were done at UC Davis Poultry lab (CA) and cost $25 each.
I really never even considered keeping hem on a flock raiser, is not
something anyone I know who keeps chickens does, but in light of my research and recent experience, it really seems like the best option. I have 20 chickens, I don’t need mass egg production. Their health is more important to me.

By “young”, less than a year. Probably close to 8ish months. I had 6 die within a 3 month period. 2 of those were older silkies
Ouch! :(

This year.. Marek's hit other's including myself this past year in California.. pretty hard. I heard tales from the bay area and others. Not suggesting that's it worth considering if not at least ran through the ringer a bit already. :hmm

I used to think older age was not a factor but have recently changed that with everything I see about medical conditions.. aging is an ADDED risk factor to ALL things immune system related.

I also had not had any prior unexplained deaths, but got the diagnosis from UC Davis this last fall.. I'm at the cal/or border. Presumably they would have looked for and noted if they had found something like that.. unless they JUST happen to POSSIBLY receive the wrong specimen??

Sometimes it's a perfect storm of something or another..

I'm thankful to have escaped southern California's New Castle's disease virus outbreak and subsequent mandatory euthanasia of backyard flocks in certain counties during 2019. But it's fresh in my mind still.

Visceral gout.. wow, I wouldn't be surprised to see something *like* that in an elder but was shocked to see it causes 15-35% mortality in young poultry! :eek:(presumably broilers)

The following link also mention ONE possible cause being infectious bronchitis.. and you mention respiratory symptoms..

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/gout-management-in-poultry

Merck vet manual is another of my favorite resources for reliable information even if not written to appeal to average consumers it also says the same thing..

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...s-of-poultry/urate-deposition-gout-in-poultry

Excess protein can also be one cause of gout and even kidney failure or sudden death according to both. I figure you already considered that as the alternative to any diet related impact?

Egg production is more relative to genetics and age coupled with hours of daylight than feed input.

It does sound very much like using a Flock Raiser, Grower, or All Flock, even starter with 18-20% protein (usually 1% ish calcium) and offering oyster shell free choice in a convenient spot on the side for the active layers.. like on the way in/out of the lay box/coop door, next to the feed, etc. is going to be the best choice for your older ladies and it will benefit the others as well! I like the Purina brand Flock Raiser because it's available locally, at a price I can afford, on a regular basis, and with high enough turn around to keep mill date within at least 6 weeks. The ingredients and nutrient content are a happy medium (not perfection) for my flock, goals, and pocket book.. Flock raiser is higher priced than layer, lower price than organic, meet needs WELL, so far.. and I would also say semi locally milled for me.. I might use Kalmbach if was available in my location as got it once off Amazon and it smelled SO good. So use one that meets those criteria I mentioned for yourself.. price, availability, freshness, etc. Also that your birds like. :thumbsup

I would think if mareks, it should have shown up in one or both necropsies. I’m confident they didn’t get the wrong bird, descriptions were included. Also, my hatchery chicks were vaccinated, I know that’s not a guarantee. But I also keep a turkey for natural immunity. visceral Gout seems to be a diet issue, for which I’m to blame, but hopefully an easy fix!!
the respiratory symptoms I mentioned were years ago, Just an example of a time when I knew WHY I lost a bird. This was so strange, and I’m only hoping I’ve figured it out. I’ve done tons of research trying to narrow it down, even considered poison. Everyone looks great now, but they did up until they died. No deaths in a couple months, hoping we are in the clear!

Back
Top Bottom