Flock raiser vs layer feed

My local mill sells a flight conditioner, its specifically for game birds and is high in protein compared to the typical All Flock - I'd have to see the bag of whatever you have in mind, but in my case, they are NOT interchangeable. High protein feeds are associated with increased incidence of "angel wing" in ducks (so are high carb diets). As I have ducks...

and if you are lucky enough to have a local mill, you might be able to get fresher, and much cheaper, feed still. I don't like my feed to be older than three months when used, but by paying cash and buying 500# at a time (doesn't last long with my flock), I'm paying about $0.23/lb - the options at TSC are all around $0.40/lb.

Letting my birds free range several very green acres, even with my long growing season, only saves a couple lbs each day, maybe 20% of my feed bill.

My local mill sells a flight conditioner, its specifically for game birds and is high in protein compared to the typical All Flock - I'd have to see the bag of whatever you have in mind, but in my case, they are NOT interchangeable. High protein feeds are associated with increased incidence of "angel wing" in ducks (so are high carb diets). As I have ducks...

Attachments

• 20210604_145224.jpg
    20210604_145224.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210604_151303.jpg
    20210604_151303.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 6
Looks like it'd work as a all flock type feed. Do you know if this is a pellet or crumble type? Young chicks will need crumble until they're big enough to safely eat pellets.
I believe they are mini pellets. I have found that they never seem to eat the powder, so I'll try it. I have the original food to mix it with.

Looks like it'd work as a all flock type feed. Do you know if this is a pellet or crumble type? Young chicks will need crumble until they're big enough to safely eat pellets.
Agree. 20% Protein, 1.5% Calcium, reasonable amounts of fat and fiber - its in the range of the other commercial "All Flock/Flock Raiser" products. I'd want to know how much niacin before giving to my ducks, so I'd know if I needed to supplement, but it does not appear to have anything in excess, and has adequate protein for typical needs.

Agree. 20% Protein, 1.5% Calcium, reasonable amounts of fat and fiber - its in the range of the other commercial "All Flock/Flock Raiser" products. I'd want to know how much niacin before giving to my ducks, so I'd know if I needed to supplement, but it does not appear to have anything in excess, and has adequate protein for typical needs.
Thank you. I don't have ducks, so hopefully it will work.

Thank you. I don't have ducks, so hopefully it will work.
It will definitely work - and if you find it has a vitamin powder your birds are eating around, just wet it down some. Actually, wetting it down some is just generally good advice for reducing waste when serving crumble, and helps to keep birds from gorging in high heat, an added benefit.

It will definitely work - and if you find it has a vitamin powder your birds are eating around, just wet it down some. Actually, wetting it down some is just generally good advice for reducing waste when serving crumble, and helps to keep birds from gorging in high heat, an added benefit.
Awesome, thanks

Back
Top Bottom