Flock raiser vs layer feed

lereg

Songster
Jan 22, 2017
Middle Tn
Hey guys! I'm starting to think about switching food in another month, so I have a question about what to introduce to my flock. To preface, I have 10, 10 week olds, 6, 7 week olds, and 6, 4 week olds.
I know it's a matter of opinion, but what do you feed, and why?

An all-flock feed, 18% to 20% protein, and lower calcium levels, with separate oyster shell, makes total sense unless you have leghorn type hens, all laying eggs, as in a commercial flock. We have fed Purina's Flock Raiser for decades, and our mixed age and sex flock has done very well. Our birds also molt less dramatically, and faster, then a friend's flock who is fed a layer feed.
It's worth a bit extra expense, rather than going the cheapest route.
Most important also is freshness! Check the mill date on each bag you buy, and plan to use feed within two months of that mill date!
Mary

I have a mixed age, mixed gender, mixed species flock (see my Sig, below). Thus All Flock/Flock Raiser/Flock Maker with free choice Oyster shell is the only reasonable, pragmatic way to ensure everyone gets their needs met, I don't have to maintain fresh supplies of multiple feeds, and no one gets too much calcium.

Layer feed has exactly two benefits. One) Its cheap - based on meeting the absolute minimal requirements of the typical commercial layer breed, under commercial management (short productive lifespan) conditions. Two) it saves you the inconvenience of every once in a while pouring more oyster shell into a separate dish with a heavy bottom to discourage the birds from tipping it over.

On the negative side: One) its the MINIMAL daily requirements for commercial layers in a commercial management system. Do you plan to keep your birds thru molt? Layer won't help them with that. Are your birds commercial layers at all? If not, the dietary needs this food was purpose built for may not meet the needs of your birds. Two) DO you have RooS? They can't avoid the additional calcium in layer, which will build up over time in the kidneys and elsewhere, increasing risk of health problems. Even if you plan to early cull your boys for the table, before health problems are likely to arise, layer's protein content is so low it won't help them bulk up. Same with breeds which are "late to lay" like the Brahma, and breeds that only lay eggs occasionally (120-200 eggs per year), common for many of the more "attractive" breeds. DO you really think this feed was designed with Banties in mind??? Frizzles?

For me, the negatives FAR outweigh the positives. Unless the budget requires that you feed your birds as cheaply as possible (likely savings of $2-3 per 50#), or you are feeding nothing but commercial layers following commercial management practices for egg production, I'm not going to recommend layer feed.

I recently switched to Purina Flock Raiser (20% protein) and have started getting up to 100% egg production (15 hens, mixed flock). That is an increase from 7 - 9 eggs/day. When I am making excuses for spending more $$ on still another coop remodel, I credit the new open to air front of the coop that occurred about the same time (see "Woods design coops).

I have a mixed age, mixed gender, mixed species flock (see my Sig, below). Thus All Flock/Flock Raiser/Flock Maker with free choice Oyster shell is the only reasonable, pragmatic way to ensure everyone gets their needs met, I don't have to maintain fresh supplies of multiple feeds, and no one gets too much calcium.

Layer feed has exactly two benefits. One) Its cheap - based on meeting the absolute minimal requirements of the typical commercial layer breed, under commercial management (short productive lifespan) conditions. Two) it saves you the inconvenience of every once in a while pouring more oyster shell into a separate dish with a heavy bottom to discourage the birds from tipping it over.

On the negative side: One) its the MINIMAL daily requirements for commercial layers in a commercial management system. Do you plan to keep your birds thru molt? Layer won't help them with that. Are your birds commercial layers at all? If not, the dietary needs this food was purpose built for may not meet the needs of your birds. Two) DO you have RooS? They can't avoid the additional calcium in layer, which will build up over time in the kidneys and elsewhere, increasing risk of health problems. Even if you plan to early cull your boys for the table, before health problems are likely to arise, layer's protein content is so low it won't help them bulk up. Same with breeds which are "late to lay" like the Brahma, and breeds that only lay eggs occasionally (120-200 eggs per year), common for many of the more "attractive" breeds. DO you really think this feed was designed with Banties in mind??? Frizzles?

For me, the negatives FAR outweigh the positives. Unless the budget requires that you feed your birds as cheaply as possible (likely savings of $2-3 per 50#), or you are feeding nothing but commercial layers following commercial management practices for egg production, I'm not going to recommend layer feed.
My budget is low, but I can afford up to about 5 bucks extra in food , to make it easier.

No roosters that I know of, but my favorite on might be. It has a pretty red Comb forming, that's larger than the rest. I hope not. We'll see.
They're just pets with benefits, so no commercial here.

Ok, by my count, you have 22 birds. If they each eat 1/4# per day (a common "rule of thumb"), that's 5.5# per day, or a 50# bag every 9 days, about 40 bags a year.

Using the local TSC's prices, Purina's "Flock Raiser" runs $21.29/bag, while its "Layena" is $19.49. Difference is $72/yr plus a bag of oyster shell. About $80/year. With a total feed estimate between $780 and $900/yr. Stepping down a "brand" will save you a bit more, the Dumor "Chick Starter" 50#, which you can use as an All Flock, runs $18.99 a bag right now.

and all of those are crumbles - if you add water before serving and mix to an oatmeal like consistency, you should find your waste drops some, which should help.

Ok, by my count, you have 22 birds. If they each eat 1/4# per day (a common "rule of thumb"), that's 5.5# per day, or a 50# bag every 9 days, about 40 bags a year.

Using the local TSC's prices, Purina's "Flock Raiser" runs $21.29/bag, while its "Layena" is $19.49. Difference is $72/yr plus a bag of oyster shell. About $80/year. With a total feed estimate between $780 and $900/yr. Stepping down a "brand" will save you a bit more, the Dumor "Chick Starter" 50#, which you can use as an All Flock, runs $18.99 a bag right now.

and all of those are crumbles - if you add water before serving and mix to an oatmeal like consistency, you should find your waste drops some, which should help.
and if you are lucky enough to have a local mill, you might be able to get fresher, and much cheaper, feed still. I don't like my feed to be older than three months when used, but by paying cash and buying 500# at a time (doesn't last long with my flock), I'm paying about $0.23/lb - the options at TSC are all around $0.40/lb.

Letting my birds free range several very green acres, even with my long growing season, only saves a couple lbs each day, maybe 20% of my feed bill.

Back
Top Bottom