Flock Vaccinated against Fowl Pox

Bedste

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Cut n Shoot Texas
When my girls had Fowl Pox, some of them had really bad wet pox and all the horrible symptoms that can come with Fowl Pox..... I posted lots of pictures of some of my birds when they were sick. I have noticed that some of those birds sound a bit wheezy from time to time. NO RUNNY NOSE or bubbly eyes but my question is ...... has anyone ever noticed that Wet Pox survivors have some wheezing when its cold? Is that common? Seems to be only those birds that were the worst last year

Well - not exactly - but I have one SS hen that had wet fowl pox really bad last year - so bad her tongue was permanently damaged. Most of the time now she is fine - can't even tell which one was the really sick one - but when I had a respiratory thing go through the flock, she seemed to take the longest to get over it completely.

Hmmm...I noticed one of my polish was sneezing today and checked him. He was snotty so I isolated him and started sulmet on him and the other five. I realized a few days ago that one of the others had fowl pox...but the dry kind. When I was cleaning off the boogers on his beak I noticed he had a sore (like a hole actually) under one of the patches and a red are under another. Now I wonder if they are connected. Bump for you.
sharon

i vaccinated all of mine when I saw the fowl pox on a few.... I started with the youngest and healthiest ...... and worked my way through vaccinating the sickest last. Even the really sick ones I vaccinated. I did not loose a one.... they all recovered.

Well if the wheezing has nothing to do with the fowl pox then maybe I should treat the flock for a respitory thing like you did..... what did you use?

I started with Sulmet on a Friday evening when I realized I had some respiratory thing starting - thinking it might be early coryza. Talked to a poultry vet on the following Monday. He suggested I switch to erythromycin - pattern in my flock was consistent with coryza but could also have been Mycoplasma and he said erythromycin (I got Gallimycin PFC) because that would be effective for both diseases.

I'm not sure where I got mine - either Jeffers or First State Veterinary probably. Sulmet and Tylan are available at our feed stores. Dosage is on the packet - you need to calculate to make a smaller volume than they give instructions for. Can't remember the withdrawal time - I imagine 2 weeks is plenty, but I don't know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom