Fowl pox?

NurseNikki

In the Brooder
May 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Noticed the lesions on my RIR’s comb 2 weeks ago. They have since healed up and she had no other issues. Then my Easter egger/cream legbar mix started acting sick. She was fatigued, limping (but no specific area of injury), no egg laying. And now today she has more pep back but this huge lesion appeared quickly. I’m guessing fowl pox, just wanted to get confirmation. And interesting how the bird clearly felt achy/sick from the virus for about a week before the pox formed. If that’s what’s going on.

Attachments

• 7A838CD1-24D2-42B3-B8B1-A25440BDA333.jpeg
    7A838CD1-24D2-42B3-B8B1-A25440BDA333.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 319E8A18-6506-4F73-8564-289ED379CF4C.jpeg
    319E8A18-6506-4F73-8564-289ED379CF4C.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 15
The pupil is irregular and a bit dilated, but that doesn’t look like the pictures of ocular Mareks I have seen. That doesn’t rule it out, but her pupil also looks farther back toward the rear of her head, something I haven’t seen. I wonder about some sort of brain growth or tumor, or head injury. Is her other eye normal? The big lesion on her comb looks more like a peck wound or injury. Is she molting yet? I would make sure that she is drinking enough fluids, and maybe offer some scrambled egg for a treat.

The pupil is irregular and a bit dilated, but that doesn’t look like the pictures of ocular Mareks I have seen. That doesn’t rule it out, but her pupil also looks farther back toward the rear of her head, something I haven’t seen. I wonder about some sort of brain growth or tumor, or head injury. Is her other eye normal? The big lesion on her comb looks more like a peck wound or injury. Is she molting yet? I would make sure that she is drinking enough fluids, and maybe offer some scrambled egg for a treat.
thank you for the response! Yes her other pupil is normal. She does have a head tick at times and I’ve wondered about a neurological issue, she seems to see out of it ok. Strange looking though

Back
Top Bottom