Should i vaccinate for Fowl Pox?

Joychik

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2023
Hi there, this is my first year raising chicks. I have two 4 month old chicks that got fowl pox, the wet kind. Then I have three 4 week old chicks that I have kept separate but they were exposed before I knew it was fowl pox, I thought it was an impacted crop, which it could have been both. Anyway, I found a vaccine but it says chicks need to be 8 weeks, it is the wing stick kind. Does anyone know of a vaccine I can use on younger chicks, or would I be ok with using the other one, or should I just wait and see? I'm stressing out about losing chicks. My first guy to come down with it is now acting like his old self minus the pox on his comb, my little hen just started showing symptoms yesterday and I have her isolated. My little ones are fine for now, but I have read it is more deadly for them.

Did the ones who had wet pox, also have dry pox scabs on them? Do you have any pictures of the pox inside their beak or on their bodies? Where are you in the world? Do you still have mosquitoes out? I would try to keep the young ones away from mosquitoes. Once they get and survive pox, they are immune to it in the future. Most of the pox vaccines I have seen for chickens list the age as 8 weeks to get it.

This has useful information about fowl pox. https://www.dineachook.com.au/blog/recognise-and-treat-fowl-pox-in-chickens/

While most chickens are immune to pox after having it, a few can and do get it again.

It can take up to a month for a chicken to develop pox symptoms after being exposed. If your new chicks have been exposed to the same mosquitoes that have bitten your adult chickens, they may already be infected.

Best to follow the vaccine recommendations and wait until the chicks are eight weeks old to give it to them.

Did the ones who had wet pox, also have dry pox scabs on them? Do you have any pictures of the pox inside their beak or on their bodies? Where are you in the world? Do you still have mosquitoes out? I would try to keep the young ones away from mosquitoes. Once they get and survive pox, they are immune to it in the future. Most of the pox vaccines I have seen for chickens list the age as 8 weeks to get it.
Yes, he started out with a raspy voice then a cough and refused to eat, then he was super lethargic for a couple of days. I thought he had an impacted crop because he was kind of gurgling and breathing really heavy. Then he started feeling better and the pox showed up a day or 2 later on his comb. It was in about a week span. I am in Northern Utah, yes on the mosquitoes, No pictures of any inside pox, they just both acted like it hurt to eat and my little hen kept opening her mouth like it was sore. I can grab picture in the morning.

Attachments

• 20230830_194835.jpg
    20230830_194835.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 10
What is MG? And how do I help? He is doing so much better. When he was really sick he couldn't even walk. Today he was running around and wagging his tail which is my favorite! My little hen is also doing better. She did not get as sick and only had the horse voice and cough for 2 days. She seems back to normal but no pox have showed up on her comb yet. I have the babies separated and no symptoms yet but I'm still worried about them. I will add some rooster booster to their water to help keep their immune systems ready. Plus I rubbed dilluted oregano essential oil on the older ones feet pads when they were sick. It seemed to help. Every time we did it on the little roo he would perk up for a few hours and eat a bit.

Back
Top Bottom