Flock with bumblefoot

ChickenWitch1

In the Brooder
May 31, 2022
Help!! I have around 40 chickens, and the other day me and my mom discovered that around half of them have bumblefoot. Now, I’ve done my research, and I know how to go about treating them individually. But 20 or so chickens is a lot of chickens to have to treat. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you go about it? After I treat them is it okay to let them back outside with the rest of the flock? And after I wrap their feet, won’t they just figure out how to get it off themselves??

Help!! I have around 40 chickens, and the other day me and my mom discovered that around half of them have bumblefoot. Now, I’ve done my research, and I know how to go about treating them individually. But 20 or so chickens is a lot of chickens to have to treat. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you go about it? After I treat them is it okay to let them back outside with the rest of the flock? And after I wrap their feet, won’t they just figure out how to get it off themselves??
The only time you have to do bumblefoot surgery is if there is redness and swelling on the footpad. Without redness and swelling you would be performing a needless surgery stressing out the bird because the infection isnt present. The scabs go eventually go away on their own.
I recommend sanding down roosts with sandpaper to eliminate splinters and burrs, lower roosts as well.
Here's a link for you on how to do bumblefoot surgery with photos:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to.236649/

Instead of using vet wrap, I use duct tape to wrap the foot. When I'm finished with the surgery and packing the hole with Neosporin, I put a gauze with a little betadine in it over the hole. Then wrap it with duct tape just like you would with vet wrap, including cutting strips to go between the toes. Dont wrap the duct tape too tight.

Duct tape will keep the footpad dry protecting the wound from nasty mudpuddles that chickens like to walk through and drink from.
About 5-7 days later remove the duct tape using scissors. You'll want to start carefully cutting through the duct tape at the top and front of the leg, slowly cutting down through it and in between the toes as not to accidently cut into the leg or toes.
Then slowly cut off the rest or peel it off with your fingers. The footpad should be completely healed. If not, rewrap it as before until healed which should be just 2 or 3 days.
The chicken might try to remove the duct tape but it's impossible to do so.

Back
Top Bottom