Flock with Marek's disease? Need advice!

Haley S

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 20, 2012
About 5 months ago my hen went broody, so I thought it would be fun to stick a couple of eggs under her and see what happened. Both eggs hatched, but one died and the other one turned out to be a rooster. This new rooster just started crowing last week and since I live in a neighborhood, it just won't work out to keep him. I found a great new home for him, and was going to take him there today, but just last night I discovered that one of my hens has Marek's disease, and is barely able to walk a few steps.I separated her from the flock right away and have started treating her with a remedy I found on this sight, but now I am wondering if my rooster is now infected, though he shows no signs of illness, making it too late to give him away...
Is it a for sure thing that the rest of my flock are now carriers? Please help!

they have all been exposed by now, it is a virus and has no cure. Many survive for some time and some will die from it. so sorry, I have had to deal with this as well, out of eight, three have passed at 2 1/2 years old. The other 5 seem fine. you can support them with vitamins, helps with neurolgical problems associated with it. good luck, lots of info here on the disease

Back
Top Bottom