Flockmate died and now the rest are picking on remaining hen

Prettypeckers

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2018
We have 4 standard size hens that were raised together and get along great. We purchased 3 more a few months after the first bunch and 2 have passed leaving the one bantam hen by herself. The problem is that the original 4 are just vicious to the remaining bantam. I don’t know what to do to make them stop. She’s all alone and it breaks my heart...clearly my girls are pets. Culling is not an option for us. Any advice is welcome.

I agree with the above poster. I would say get another female and maybe a cock, and build them a little run, and attach it to a bunny hutch with the legs taken off (that’s what I use for chicks). It’s easily moved and situated.
Hope you find a good solution soon!

Yes, I was thinking of getting another bantam, but is there any chance that they would reject each other?

One can never know for sure, but chickens are a social animal and like companionship, so given enough time my guess would be they would bond and do well together. There is often is some initial pecking and squabbling between hens meeting new flock members and it can sometimes be painful to watch before they work things out, but they usually do work things out. I have never introduced a single hen to another single hen, so I'm not sure if that might be an easier process, or what the best way to go about that would be. Hopefully, some others could weigh in on that.

Back
Top Bottom