Floor Ideas?

Haunted, Love the idea of fiberedcement board, with elastomeric over that. I was gonna do tile board with ceramic tile over it in my big coop, but wife talked me out of it. Said I went kinda crazy with our coop as it is..Ya know.... it's a guy thing! so I went with congloeum instead. However, am planning on a Bantam coop as I type. Have 7 babies on the way, flying out tomorrow. Gotta get moving on the new coop asap. Might try the elastomeric in this one. Only gonna be 5' x 8'. Will post pics when I start. If ya got some time, check out my page and let me know what ya think.
Erik

Quote:
91515_img_1465.jpg

Nice.. I'll check it out... this is my under construction bantam coop and as you can see very little is needed to turn it into a shower... lol

it's fibre cement top to bottom!

JackE, So are we talking the elastomeric or a coating that is asphalt based? I have no problem with the elastomeric, I just wouldn't trust using a petroleum base product like blackjack silver which is essentially liquified asphalt. I just don't feel the possible fumes from it would be good for chickens to breathe. Just my opinion.
Erik

Just to update:
Here is the Blueskin shower/foundation liner applied to the bottom inches of the coop. This should provide a moisture proof barrier between the poo zone and the coop floor/walls.

91515_photo.jpg

91515_photo1.jpg

I'm using a rubberized/plastic stair runner material that I found at Lowes. It comes in rolls about 6' long and 3' wide and has a non-slip ridged surface and is made to be walked on so it is pretty tough. It is also waterproof so I can take a hose to it. I just glued it down on the plywood floor with liquid nails adhesive.

Quote:
Thanks for the poop board. What do you use? Does the poop dry as it does in sand? I've been told Fiberglass Reinforced Panels [FRP] are better. Thanks for any help you can give. BTW, do you have pictures of your setup? --jim

Last edited:
I am using FRP beneath my roost. It is working well for me. The poop is relatively dry. I still use sand on my floors. I use a thin piece of tin to scoop the poop from the FRP. The process is virtually dustless. --jim

Quote:
I also have an elevated coop. I used some recycle hollow core doors for my floor deck. They are varnished.Price was right and they are light weight. My coop is still heavy though.

Back
Top Bottom