Floor of Chicken Run....

TiffsChics

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2021
Good day! It seems I should have put more thought into my chicken coop run. When I got my coop I just set it on a nice grassy piece of my yard. My 8 week old chic's seem to love it but I am finding moldy grass & layers of moldy feed under & around their dishes. Should I remove all of the grass and replace it with something else? Maybe put bricks down for their dishes to set on, or a board? My concern is that they may get sick from consuming moldy food and/or grass.

Should I remove all of the grass and replace it with something else?
The chickens will take care of all the grass. I bet it will be gone in a week or so.
Maybe put bricks down for their dishes to set on, or a board?
That is probably a good idea. Do you remove the food at night?

The chickens will take care of all the grass. I bet it will be gone in a week or so.

That is probably a good idea. Do you remove the food at night?
^^agree my ladies tore up the grass in about 2 weeks. I do put their food in metal trash cans at night after locking them up, keeps the critters a little more at bay.

I raise my waterers up on blocks and either hang my feeders or put them up on blocks.

Having feeders at the level of the birds' backs reduces waste from the birds scooping it out and throwing it on the ground, where it molds.

0917211624a_HDR.jpg

I do not remove the food at night but probably should
I cover or take all the food inside at night. I don't want mice to find it and decide to come visit every night.

I make it easy to do. I have three of the heavy rubberized bowls from TSC. One is in a plastic container with a lid that sort of clips on the ends. I put a brick on top of it and leave it outside. Another is in a Rubbermaid container that has a tight fitting lid. I cover it and bring it inside because it's... easy to do. The third bowl is almost always empty, and I bring it inside, along with the "chickie snack" plate.

If you make it easy and convenient for YOU, you'll do it.

Good day! It seems I should have put more thought into my chicken coop run. When I got my coop I just set it on a nice grassy piece of my yard. My 8 week old chic's seem to love it but I am finding moldy grass & layers of moldy feed under & around their dishes. Should I remove all of the grass and replace it with something else? Maybe put bricks down for their dishes to set on, or a board? My concern is that they may get sick from consuming moldy food and/or grass.
The problem is spilled feed.
It can be tough to find/build a feeder that doesn't allow feed to be scratched or billed out.

Back
Top Bottom