Flooring and DLM

sueceeq

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
First of all, I am new to this site as well as new to chickens! I have spent hours learning everything I can and I feel like I have a pretty good grip on caring for my new chicks :)

I know that this is a subject that has been covered before, but I wanted some fresh responses. My husband is in the process of converting a small horse barn into a coop for the girls. The area that he wants to use has a wooden floor. I want to use the deep litter method. Would that work with the wood floor or should we tear it up and get it down to dirt? He doesn't want to go to the extra work of removing the wood, so if the method would work with the wood we will leave it down. I just want to get it right the first time
tongue.png
I would really like to hear from people who have used wood floors and this method. I am concerned that it won't compost the way it would on dirt. I am also concerned about harming my girls' feet. Thanks in advance from this newbie :)

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Wood will absorb the moisture from the litter - in DLM there is supposed to be some moisture in the litter to allow it to break down properly. I put down some inexpensive vinyl flooring over the wood floor, and painted the walls. Works well and cleans up easily when I do change out the litter.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Wood will absorb the moisture from the litter - in DLM there is supposed to be some moisture in the litter to allow it to break down properly. I put down some inexpensive vinyl flooring over the wood floor, and painted the walls. Works well and cleans up easily when I do change out the litter.
Thanks, I know lots of folks use vinyl flooring, I just assumed it was for easy clean up. I will consider this for sure! Btw I am from mid Michigan
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom