floppy chick prevention

AK_Button_Mama

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
ok does any one know what this is? I have been reading and talking to friends about it. I had one in my first batch that was just wirthering away and I had to cull it.. that made me never want to have to do it again (if possible)

anyway I dont know if this is a teqnicall term but floppy chick.. when they just flop over and lay there..... if you put them up right they just flop back over again. anyway I was talking to a friend and she said to use vanodine as a wash on the eggs 3 days before due to hatch that this kills the staph bacteria on the eggs.... My question is does any one else use vanodine to wash thier eggs propr to hatch day. I do not mean washing bloom off. and its more of a rinse not a total submersion.. if you need more info go to www.vanodine.com I use it for cuts and stuff and it works great. its a great disinfectant that can be sprayed on a cut and kills bad guys on contact... I have used it for pasturella in rabbits its great.. cool thing is you can even disinfect the drinking water... they can drink it and its ok....

so any one else wash eggs?

Floopy chick?

All chicks from my experience flop to their backs and flip around for a few hours before getting their feet. It seems pretty normal on this side.

I just set eggs that arent soiled without washing. They should be sterile inside anyways, and if they weren't they'd have likly died early on in incubation and you'd smell them.

Killing all bacteria is a bad thing really. You WANT a healthy bacterial load on everything to help out compete the few bad ones that can be deadily. The more good ones the less bad ones to make you sick. If you kill all but the strongest, you risk letting a few of those survivers be the ones which will be bad for you multiply on "clean" non covered free living space.

I personally dont wash eggs, but I know some do. I have come to realize that some chicks, no matter what the circumstances are just are not going to make it. Then again, I have had some that didn't eat, drink, and I thought they were going to die, and a day later, they were just fine. I guess thats why I always hatch larger batches, just in case there are a few that dont make it.

well, I think I am gonna try it what harm can come from it? worse case is I get a few extra chicks...

and as for the floppy chcik thing this was a obvious floppy chick it wasnt gonna get it up. I tried to feed it and water it and it would just lay there. I let it go 4 days before I culled it. it had shallow breaths and had not moved except when it was kicked by the other babies!!!! it was sad.

Quote:
some of us just dont have that luxury. I have a small bator.

Quote:
so what your telling me is its better to have bacteria on an egg than give the babies the cleanest start possible? what if you have purchased eggs from online or what ever... wouldnt that be a biosecurity practice? removing the dangerous bacteria will obviously remove the good ones! at current I dont have any "sick" birds I dont want any either! so I am willing to wash a few eggs in hopes that they dont have avian flu or coccidiosis piggybacking on the shell..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom