FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hello my fellow Floridians!!
frow.gif
I just wanted to say hello from Pensacola!!
Hello from Crestview!!! :)
Hello and welcome. Also new here. Absolutely love your area, it's just gorgeous up there. Hello from Tampa bay.
Hello, and welcome. I certainly have learned alot on this thread. You will find good friendly advice, support and encouragement here. (Group hug!) I was doing some internet research on adding them to the flock for warning since the incident you had. I don't have the land for that. let us know how that works out. Surprised to hear the fowl is docile because the reading I did says they are people shy. Bonus for you!
Hello and in regards to the guinea, it got loose from it's box within the first 10 minutes and disappeared for over an hour. I thought it was either dead or returned to the wilderness (surrounded by woods, on 2.5 acres). Them things are quick!!! They are definitely not chickens, that's for sure! What I meant about it being docile was moreso in reference to when it gets late/dark. Also, I don't think it may particularly be fond of humans, it mostly just tolerates being handled, kinda like a cat, but definitely a wild animal. Can't integrate it free ranging yet, and it makes me feel terrible, but the poor darn thing will just run away. It really is quite sad.

Last edited:
Hello everybody!! Brand new to BYC and everything that goes with it. I have done tons of reading on different breeds and different style coops. We live in indian river county, Florida. We are just finishing our coop and will be ready to have chicks by the weekend. Does anyone know reputable people to purchase our beginning flock on the treasure/space coast?

Welcome to BYC! There are some lists around here of who sells or has what... Hopefully someone can find you somehing :) I am in Flagler County and so far, my best option has been to order either eggs or chicks. Good luck to you!

Why dont
There are 3 feed stores that i can think of locally in homestead/redlands, one in town and two out on Krome.     They never have swaps,  i was wondering what the response would be here if I
pushed them to try one.    PM me if you would attend a swap in Homestead and if people would like to go i will see if i can persuade someone to have a swap??  you can PM me if you like
that way i can count replies easier..

oh i just thought of another place also on krome and about 160st that may do it also.
[why don't you try to approach Griff's Feed in Davie. They are very helpful when it comes to chicken, it's further away but may be able to help.

I have
My three may wander out a bit, but mainly they go under cover to wait out the rain. Half of their area is tarped over. This weekend I am picking up plywood to make a proper roof, as the tarp serves as an out door bathtub after the rain! I thought I could pull it taut and prevent that...lesson learned...i have to get under it and push it up to empty it after every rain.:rolleyes:

I have learned my tarp does this too. I go out in the heavy rain to relieve the tarp so it doesn't stretch my wire out with the weight. I'm hoping to get another layer so I'll be expanding the run anyhow. Hubby is against building with wood in FL. Working on an alternative plan.

Hello! I have had my chickens for almost 5 months now. However in from MI and this is totally different environment then I'm used to! How often do you all worm your birds here? I have 8 chickens and all are different breeds. I let them free range all day long and lock them up at night but 2 days ago my cochen baby was attacked and I'm not sure by what....he is currently rehabilitating in my bedroom... Vetericyn 3 times a day. And last night my silkie was laying in the bottom of the coop soaking wet and limp... I warmed her up with a blow dryer and she pooped out a giant worm and now seems fine. I wormed with safegaurd(horse wormer) but not sure if I gave enough to be effective! I know I'm posting randomly bit I'm new to chickens and Florida. I need all the help I can get! Lol

Hello everybody!! Brand new to BYC and everything that goes with it. I have done tons of reading on different breeds and different style coops. We live in indian river county, Florida. We are just finishing our coop and will be ready to have chicks by the weekend. Does anyone know reputable people to purchase our beginning flock on the treasure/space coast?

welcome-byc.gif

Hello! I have had my chickens for almost 5 months now. However in from MI and this is totally different environment then I'm used to! How often do you all worm your birds here? I have 8 chickens and all are different breeds. I let them free range all day long and lock them up at night but 2 days ago my cochen baby was attacked and I'm not sure by what....he is currently rehabilitating in my bedroom... Vetericyn 3 times a day. And last night my silkie was laying in the bottom of the coop soaking wet and limp... I warmed her up with a blow dryer and she pooped out a giant worm and now seems fine. I wormed with safegaurd(horse wormer) but not sure if I gave enough to be effective! I know I'm posting randomly bit I'm new to chickens and Florida. I need all the help I can get! Lol

I give mine Wazine every 6 months.. it doesn't get rid of all worms but it works on the common ones.

Bobandtee: Ranch Feed & Supply store in Palm City has chicks occasionally(we have a chick and turkey from there), otherwise I'm a bit south of you, but I've purchased from a local breeder in Loxahatchee who specializes in Marans (of all kinds) & Blue Laced Red Wyandottes...you can find them on thefancychicken.com...they're good and emailing back quickly!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom